Sep 15, 2011, 12:24 AM EST
Some backstory to this one: The plunking came nearly 24 hours after Parra struck a pose and exchanged words with Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis following a seventh-inning home run Tuesday night. Parra was nearly struck in the head by a pitch just before he went yard, and he yucked it up all the way to home plate. Kershaw was shown by television cameras jawing at the D’Backs bench soon after, and a yelling match ensued for a minute or two. The umps obviously took notice.
Kershaw had allowed just one hit through five scoreless frames on Wednesday night against the first-place Snakes. He was at five strikeouts and had issued no walks. The 23-year-old ace was shutting down a first-place club in the middle of a Cy Young chase, and in front of his own fans in Los Angeles.
Which is why home plate umpire Tim Welke is now baseball’s enemy No. 1. If, you know, we’re basing that ranking on Twitter outrage. (Seriously, click here. Even the level-headed Joe Sheehan is fired up).
Welke didn’t issue a warning. Not before the game, and not after Kershaw struck Parra — instead opting for the immediate toss. Also, the pitch wasn’t all that inside. It barely grazed Parra’s elbow.
Kershaw put himself in a bad spot with Welke and crew for arguing cross-field on Tuesday night with half of the D’Backs roster, but Welke could have done a more thorough job of considering the circumstances.
It’s sadly almost unprecedented, but some discipline for the ump (this time) would seem to be in order.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)