Hanley Ramirez undergoes season-ending shoulder surgery

Sep 15, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT

hanley behind getty Getty Images

As expected, Hanley Ramirez underwent season-ending surgery Thursday on his right shoulder.

The operation, performed by Dr. James Andrews in Pensacola, Florida, was termed an “open repair” and deemed an initial success. According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, Ramirez is expected to be fully recovered by the start of the 2012 season.

Hanley wound up posting an underwhelming .243/.333/.379 batting line with 10 homers, 45 RBI and 20 stolen bases in 385 plate appearances this year for the Marlins, who currently sit 30 games back in the National League East standings. He was not named an All-Star for the first time since ’07.

The 27-year-old “face of the franchise” will have much to prove in 2012, when the Marlins move into their new ballpark. If the Fish hope to compete in the stadium’s inaugural year, Ramirez will have to be far better.

1. Old Gator - Sep 15, 2011 at 11:23 PM

I’ve gotta call upon our resident paramedic, Cur68 (does he really have to jump out of airplanes to reach his patients?) to explain what an “open repair” is. I’ve only ever heard that expression used by car mechanics and roofers.

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Hi there Gator. Hmm the old “open repair” on “no structural damage” is it? I think I have some idea of what this is about.

Your run of the mill open shoulder surgery is several centimeters of incision. It’s often required if there is a long complex tear of the rotator cuff. The deltoid (shoulder muscle) will be detached to get a good view and get access (it’s often a torn tendon or the like). Typically bone spurs will be removed if there are any.

The open repair is a bit out of date but was generally indicated for rotator cuff surgery. There are way less invasive procedures around.

As for Hanley and his “no structural damage” diagnosis that required surgery, well, part of this procedure was likely an exploration and then maybe a modification of the joint itself, probably by taking off a piece of bone from the clavicle unless he had tears that they weren’t telling us about. That’s the problem with taking the word of the PR people; often they don’t realize they’ve contradicted themselves or that there’s been a changed diagnosis which they haven’t updated us about. Remember Chase Utley’s knee? There was a lot of misinformation floating around about that.

Anyways, my description of the Open Repair is pretty basic. If there’s a genuine orthopedic type around they’d give you the skinny way better than me: I dealt in joint replacement for about a year and we mostly did hips and knees.

As for me; my emergency transport days were with premie babies and not complex arthroscopic surgery. I used to work on a little tropical Island (Guam) and we had to fly or very unwell infants to Hawaii, sometimes on an emergency basis. Nothing like 8 hours of stressing like a bastard to really age you. Those were the days.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Muchas gracias. I guess you were the one they made inspect the landing gear wells for brown snakes, right?

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Oh boy, the snakes. Big bastards and all over the place. Real sneaky, to. There’d be dozens within a stones throw of you anytime you were in the jungle and you’d never know. But throw a rock anywhere and you’d hear them slithering off. No birds, only chickens on the island. Nothing messes with a rooster or a hen with eggs, I guess. The brown tree snake wiped out the indigenous bird life almost completely. You bet they checked for snakes, and how. I was too busy jittering from adrenalin to be much use.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I know about the ecological catastrophe they caused, and I know they get into power line transformers and cause power failures, but what the hell are they eating now – sushi?

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Good question. The brown tree snake is very adaptable It probably eats baby chickens, rats, mice, and other tree snakes. They were never known to attack humans, then they started to suddenly go for humans. More than one mother discovered a snake biting their sleeping infant. Their venom isn’t too bad for a grown person but can be pretty effective in a small enough child. Some very good books were written about it. Most notably Oliver Sacks mentions it quite a bit, in I think Island of the Colorblind and Mark Jaffe’s work And No Birds Sing is all about it.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Oliver Sacks wrote about the brown tree snake? Okay, gotta go get that one. Thanks for the heads-up! The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat is one of my alltime favorites (and I forgive Hollywood for the joke they made of Awakenings because it gave DiNiro so much leeway to ham it up – though Robin Williams didn’t cut it as a muscle-builder).

Incidentally, I do know that one of the biggest problems with those damned snakes is that they’re parthenogenic, like Republicans – they just keep replicating themselves genetically, with little or no variation, and completely without sex.

2. purnellmeagrejr - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Is this guy really going to be a Marlin next year?

3. Old Gator - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM

That was an open question on local Spawrts Tawrk Raydeeo when he got off to a lethargic start this season, especially after the team’s season imploded in June. However, the Hanster is owed $15 million in 2012, $15.5 million in 2013 and $16 million in 2014. He has a wonky shoulder that has sidelined him for I would now guess most of the past two seasons and his performance has taken a nosedive that would be the envy of any surviving Stuka pilot.

Go ahead. Just try to trade him before April. I dare you.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3339)