Sep 15, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
As part of a promotion CC Carpet and Floor Design in Dallas offered customers who bought flooring or counter tops a full refund if Hamilton hit a grand slam from August 29 to the end of the season.
He hadn’t hit one since May 28 of 2008, so it probably seemed like a safe bet that would help drum up some business, but instead Hamilton went deep with the bases loaded and the store will issue about $500,000 in refunds.
Of course, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram notes that owner Steve Fitzgerald got an insurance policy before running the promotion. Or as Fitzgerald put it: “I’m excited. I’m great. I wish he could have waited until the last game of the season so more people could have gotten it.”
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8