Sep 15, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
As part of a promotion CC Carpet and Floor Design in Dallas offered customers who bought flooring or counter tops a full refund if Hamilton hit a grand slam from August 29 to the end of the season.
He hadn’t hit one since May 28 of 2008, so it probably seemed like a safe bet that would help drum up some business, but instead Hamilton went deep with the bases loaded and the store will issue about $500,000 in refunds.
Of course, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram notes that owner Steve Fitzgerald got an insurance policy before running the promotion. Or as Fitzgerald put it: “I’m excited. I’m great. I wish he could have waited until the last game of the season so more people could have gotten it.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 77
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)