Sep 15, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
I want to say I heard someone talking about this once before, but in the New York Times today there’s a story about how Mariano Rivera thinks he’d be a pretty nifty center fielder. And about how he’d love a chance to get in at least one game in center before he’s done.
Joe Girardi actually entertains the idea from time to time, but the reality is that there is unlikely to be any truly meaningless game for the Yankees before Rivera retitres. Indeed, it’s exceedingly likely that Rivera’s last career game will be a playoff game of some type.
Personally, I’m trying to remember ever seeing Rivera run. I guess he covers first base on a grounder to the right side once in a while. But I bet Peter Bourjos runs more in one game than Rivera has in his whole career. Not that I think it wouldn’t be fun to see him try.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)