Sep 15, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
Rays pitching prospect Matt Moore made his major-league debut in last night’s 6-2 loss to the O’s. It wasn’t fantastic: he allowed two runs on three hits in one and a third in relief.
It was a weird first appearance too. He and the bullpen coaches thought he was supposed to start the seventh inning, and had even started his way out to the field, but Joe Maddon kept Wade Davis on the hill to face two batters before actually calling for him. Did it rattle him? I dunno. Figure he had to be rattled anyway making his debut. He came in with the Rays down 4-2.
All that said, he looked good until Matt Wieters took him deep for a two-run homer in the eighth. He retired his first four batters, including strikeouts of J.J. Hardy and Nick Markakis to start the eighth, flashing a 96-97 m.p.h. heater. But then a single to Vlad Guerrero and that bomb to Wieters happened. Maddon left him in for one more batter to see how he’d react, and he gave up a double to Chris Davis. Then came the hook.
Everyone has to start somewhere. Moore was so insanely dominant in the minors that last night’s rocky outing should be indicative. But no, probably not how he visualized it going down.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 25
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 33
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 114
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (114)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)