Programming Note: Announcing the Story Explorer

Sep 15, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

Power House

Sometime later today you’re going to notice a minor change to HBT and the other NBC SportsTalk blogs.  At the bottom of each story there will be a little navigation bar we call the Story Explorer.

The idea is that once you’ve finished reading a post you will be able to browse and then — if you’re so inclined — navigate to other posts on the blog without having to go back to the homepage.  Those of you who have used them should recognize that the Story Explorer is rather similar to the mode of navigation used on our iPhone, iPad and Android apps.

The Story Explorer is currently live over on our outdoors blog, From the Lodge.  Click over and check it out. And, while you’re there, feel free to learn where the deer are currently rutting.  The vegans and PETA members among you can just look at this screencap:

source:

I’ve been messing with this thing for a little while now, and I really like it. I hope you do too.  And, of course, I hope it works.  To that end, please feel free to give us feedback on it once it goes live later today. Let us know if you like it, what, if anything, you’d change about it, if you like the location below the stories and that sort of thing.

Keep calm and carry on.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 15, 2011 at 8:34 AM

So, a “Story Explorer” can be added but not an Edit Function? Interesting.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 15, 2011 at 8:42 AM

We’re trying to encourage all of you to say what you mean and mean what you say. An edit function would merely encourage laziness on your part.

• bigxrob - Sep 15, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I don’t I need to be encouraged to be lazy.

• klbader - Sep 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM

But you get to edit your posts, right? Laziness is okay for the staff but not for us? When the revolution comes, you will not be spared. Unless the revolution needs a good baseball blog, in which case you may be spared.

• Panda Claus - Sep 15, 2011 at 8:56 AM

See, perfect example. Craig, if you had an edit function yourself, you probably would’ve gone back and changed “merely encourage laziness” to “merely continue to encourage laziness”.

And if there was an edit function, I would probably come back here an hour later and change what I wrote to something less stupid.

Oh, well. Here goes “post”…

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM

No, there is a time limit on the edit function. You can’t edit stuff way later….like 5 minutes. That way there can be a clarification or editing of typos.

• Old Gator - Sep 15, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I am not lazy. I got up at six o’clock this morning to spray my bamboo garden for pandas. They can be hard to see – little tiny black and white things – but if your leaves are falling off, look at the bases of the stems and you’ll see clusters of them gnawing away and licking sap off their phony thumbs. Don’t use a magnifying glass – they have a very effective defense mechanism of looking cute. Just spray or you’ll wind up having to cut back all your expensive bamboo and wait a year for it to grow back.

• natstowngreg - Sep 15, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Agree w/the good doctor. All I want is the ability to correct typos, being far from the perfect typist. Not the ability to do revisionist history on my own comments.

I think your expectation is unrealistic. It’s not easy to “say what you means and mean what you say” in the English language. It takes time, and most of us don’t have unlimited time to compose comments.

If you want to abide by your expectation, the comments you will encourage are the likes of “[team or individual] suck(s)” Short, to the point, and worthless.

• feartherallythong - Sep 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM

“pandas. They can be hard to see – little tiny black and white things”
        Good GOD, Gator – how tall ARE you?…

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM

*sigh*, *holds up another sign* –> BAITING

2. halladaysbiceps - Sep 15, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I just checked out the story explorer application on the hunting site. Much, much faster going back and forth between posts. I will now be able to comment 5 times more than I normally do.

The bicepts thanks NBC sports.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 15, 2011 at 8:55 AM

And with that comment, I think biceps has scared away 90% of the comment readers. ;-)

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 15, 2011 at 8:56 AM

You may actually see site traffic DECREASE…

• cur68 - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Calcaterra you FIEND! Is there no limit to your evil??!!

• Jonny 5 - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:16 AM

LMAO!!! Ohhhh Noes ……

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I don’t have much time to post anymore for a while…least not during the day…don’t everybody pop the champagne all at once……..

But I had to post real quick to say this one cracked me up ‘ceps. I love it.

3. sdelmonte - Sep 15, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I didn’t know there was an outdoors blog. Are there any others out there? I’d love to see college basketball and tennis sites.

• talraen - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM

There is a college basketball blog: http://beyondthearc.nbcsports.com/

• sportsdrenched.com - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:25 AM

I’m also interested to know what else NBC Blogs is into.

I heard a rumor yesterday that there was a http://tyfighterracing,nbcsports.com

4. crispybasil - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Works well enough on the iPhone app.

5. yankeesfanlen - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:07 AM

All right, the weasels gathered and to justify their existence, came up with the brilliant solution to “add pictures that are already there at the header to the pre-existing “Newer” and “Older” navigation buttons after the comments.”
    Talk this up guys, NBC Sports will command the interwebs!
    Derivative corporate drivel.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Just HAVE to read “Remember Your Farmer Friends”. Craig, do a cross-ref piece, maybe tie in the Royals, segue to Frenchy. Make It Work!

• sportsdrenched.com - Sep 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM

You know, Frenchy had a good day yesterday.

• Old Gator - Sep 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Resolutely strike a blow against monopoly capitalism!™

6. Old Gator - Sep 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I’m expecting the Macondo area rutting report later this morning. The geckos, palmetto bugs and alligators are really going at it this week. Toad rut, thank Buddha, ended in May.

• nategearhart - Sep 15, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I really don’t miss having to worry about alligators, gar, nutria, and any other sort of creature that you aren’t guarantee to kill with one good shot from a 12-gauge. Here in the City of Fountains and surrounding areas it’s all wee varmints and the occasional corgi. Very manageable.

• Old Gator - Sep 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM

The big advantage to gators (and, lately, pythons) is that in Macondo no one has to waste good ammunition on Corgis anymore.

7. ThisIsBaseball - Sep 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM

It’s brilliant. Love it. Thank you for adding it.

• ThisIsBaseball - Sep 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM

It was there on the Morneau/Span story. Now it’s gone. Sad.

8. fengypants - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Since the introduction of the Story Explorer, Readability and Instapaper Mobilizer browser plug-in thingies don’t work anymore, which is a shame, because that was the nicest way to read HardballTalk stories, especially on an iPad/iPhone. (I imagine people in the NBC ad sales department see this as a side benefit of Story Explorer.)

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline