Sep 15, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
They aren’t sure where Yonder Alonso will play defensively, using the natural first baseman in left field and at third base because of Joey Votto‘s presence, but the Reds are certain the 24-year-old former first-round pick needs to lose some weight wherever he winds up.
Alonso, who’s listed at 6-foot-2 and 241 pounds, told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he’s already hired a personal chief with an eye on changing his offseason routine:
It’s going to be an offseason where I’m going to do a lot of things differently. I’m going to get faster. My offseason workout regiment is going to be very different. A lot more running. It’s going to be a left fielder-type attitude coming into the offseason. I’m very excited. We’ll go from there.
Dusty Baker told Fay that the Reds haven’t decided on a specific number of pounds they want Alonso to lose, but the idea is clearly to find out if he’s capable of being the long-term answer in left field.
Prior to being called up most people who’d seen Alonso regularly in the minors had serious doubts about his ability to handle any position but first base and he’s made multiple miscues in left field while posting some hideous numbers in what’s admittedly a small sample size. However, if the goal is for Alonso to simply go from “horrendous” to merely “bad” defensively the combination of dropping 15-20 pounds and gaining more experience in the outfield could do the trick.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)