Sep 15, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
They aren’t sure where Yonder Alonso will play defensively, using the natural first baseman in left field and at third base because of Joey Votto‘s presence, but the Reds are certain the 24-year-old former first-round pick needs to lose some weight wherever he winds up.
Alonso, who’s listed at 6-foot-2 and 241 pounds, told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he’s already hired a personal chief with an eye on changing his offseason routine:
It’s going to be an offseason where I’m going to do a lot of things differently. I’m going to get faster. My offseason workout regiment is going to be very different. A lot more running. It’s going to be a left fielder-type attitude coming into the offseason. I’m very excited. We’ll go from there.
Dusty Baker told Fay that the Reds haven’t decided on a specific number of pounds they want Alonso to lose, but the idea is clearly to find out if he’s capable of being the long-term answer in left field.
Prior to being called up most people who’d seen Alonso regularly in the minors had serious doubts about his ability to handle any position but first base and he’s made multiple miscues in left field while posting some hideous numbers in what’s admittedly a small sample size. However, if the goal is for Alonso to simply go from “horrendous” to merely “bad” defensively the combination of dropping 15-20 pounds and gaining more experience in the outfield could do the trick.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)