Shocker: it’s alleged that McCourt’s law firm charged him too much

Sep 15, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT

Frank McCourt AP

The federal bankruptcy trustee assigned to the Dodgers case told the judge today that the law firms representing the Dodgers — who have billed Frank McCourt some $1.66 million thus far — have overcharged, billing for services that were neither necessary nor required.  He is requesting that the bill be reduced by 21%.

You know, you used to be able to believe in stuff in this country. You used to believe that fair play and an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay and all of that.  And then we learn that a law firm has allegedly over-billed a millionaire for legal services that will be paid for out of some mishmash of corporate bank accounts that no one will ever closely examine.

I may need to take the rest of the day off to process this.

1. Alex K - Sep 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I hope you were near your fainting couch.

2. cur68 - Sep 15, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Shocked! I’m sh. . . nah.

3. granted42 - Sep 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Maybe they needed to charge him more to compensate for the hit their reputation will take for representing him. It’s sad when you’re such a lowlife that a law firm’s image is damaged by your presence as a client. Of course they’ll overcharge him.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 15, 2011 at 4:04 PM

These lawyers (I almost wrote shysters but I do not want to be sued.) primarily care about the bottom line. May I refer you to Rusty Hardin. His reputation has probably taken a hit due to his representation of Clemens, but his bank account has done quite well.

• jwbiii - Sep 15, 2011 at 4:23 PM

proudlycanadian, You do know that Craig called his former blog “ShysterBall,” right? I don’t he’d take offense or legal action.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 15, 2011 at 4:25 PM

It wasn’t Craig that I was thinking about.

4. Dug - Sep 15, 2011 at 4:11 PM

So, Craig, perhaps you should not faint or take the day off. I am thinking that maybe an office dedicated to high value bankruptcy would pay much better than blogging about a silly game. (sarcasm. I love baseball.)

5. robmoore - Sep 15, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I hope your billing rate for “processing” is sufficiently high…

6. crankyfrankie - Sep 15, 2011 at 4:26 PM

BTW Craig since you are already on your fainting couch. There is gambling is Casablanca.

7. tuftsb - Sep 15, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Craig – too bad Myerson and Kuhn were unavailable – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myerson_%26_Kuhn

8. ufullpj - Sep 15, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Let’s be realistic. Last year, Dewey’s revenue was around $900,000,000, and their Profits per Equity partner were around $1.6 or $1.7 Million….and Young Conaway was probably somewhere between $50-65 Million in total revenue. This tab doesn’t make a dent in either firm’s revenue stream.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto