Vizquel hopes to play next season at age 45

Sep 15, 2011, 11:10 PM EST

vizquel-110915.standard[1]

Omar Vizquel was once one of the best – if not the best – defensive shortstops in baseball. He’s little more than an aging utility man these days, but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to call it quits.

Vizquel, who turns 45 in April, tells Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com that he hopes to land a spot on someone’s roster next season.

An easy-going sort, Vizquel said he’s not worried about playing time, but thinks he still has the ability to compete.

“I would love to have the opportunity to play another year,” Vizquel said. “I think I have the ability to play. I don’t think there’s much difference between me and the other guys on teams. I’m not expecting to play every day, but I think I can still play.”

Vizquel said he’d love to return to the White Sox, but doesn’t expect to, given Chicago is a high-payroll, veteran-laden disappointment of a team in need of new life. In fact, he said that poor body language by his teammates is inspiring him to keep playing.

“I feel 35 (years old). I look at players on this team right now that are around that age or less. You look at them playing, and it’s made me want to play more because the body language is not what you’d like to see. I don’t think I have that kind of body language and I don’t like to show it even if I’m tired. That is why I want to continue,” Vizquel said. “I feel great. I have a lot of energy. I still have the passion, and I still have the legs. That’s the main reason why.”

He didn’t point the finger at any players in particular, but said he didn’t think it was an issue of fatigue. “They don’t have that spark.”

Vizquel has played only 57 games this season, hitting .245 with a .282 OBP. He has split time at shortstop, third base, second base and first base this season.

You can follow Bob on Twitter here, or if Facebook is your thing, be his friend here.

1. txnative61 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:10 AM

Hey “Little O”, bring that “tude” of yours back to Seattle. The Mariners are trying everything, and your BA is about the same as before. P.S. That Alex guy didn’t work out.

2. Detroit Michael - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:00 AM

At the rate of just 40 hits per season, Vizquel has to play four more years to reach 3,000. Doesn’t seem likely now.

3. Kevin S. - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Ozzie’ll take him to Miami and play him over Hanley.

4. fcmlefty1 - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Minnesota. Gardy’s not going to stand for continued poor defense up the middle

• clydeserra - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM

so he would be satisfied with not terrible defense from Vizquel?

• txnative61 - Sep 17, 2011 at 6:16 AM

I’ll bet Omar still makes plays other infielders just wave at. His hitting was always iffey. Seattle has accumulated some good young talent with various trades the last few years, and need to sprinkle in a few “do more with less” veterans to show them how to be great. My wish list would be: Utility infielder, Omar Vizquel. Pitcher, Jamie “slow, slower, stopped” Moyer. Batting coach, Edgar “lazy eye” Martinez.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester