Sep 15, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen’s future in Chicago has been speculated about constantly for years now, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com thinks the White Sox may actually be ready to fire him after eight seasons as manager.
Rosenthal quotes an unnamed source as saying that the chances of Guillen returning to the White Sox in 2012 have dropped from 95 percent to 50 percent to 10 percent in recent weeks, and Guillen previously made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage next season without a contract extension.
Toss in Guillen’s increasingly outspoken criticisms of the team’s performance and general manager Ken Williams’ reported shouting match with hitting coach Greg Walker and … well, there’s definitely plenty of writing on the wall. In fact, that same source told Rosenthal that Guillen’s relationship with Williams is “unsalvageable.”
Guillen has been linked to the Marlins for a long time and Rosenthal speculates that the two sides could rekindle trade discussions that fizzled last offseason when the White Sox reportedly asked for Logan Morrison in return. Presumably they’d accept a whole lot less this time around, particularly since Guillen has just one year remaining on his contract and Williams may want him gone anyway.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)