Sep 15, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen’s future in Chicago has been speculated about constantly for years now, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com thinks the White Sox may actually be ready to fire him after eight seasons as manager.
Rosenthal quotes an unnamed source as saying that the chances of Guillen returning to the White Sox in 2012 have dropped from 95 percent to 50 percent to 10 percent in recent weeks, and Guillen previously made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage next season without a contract extension.
Toss in Guillen’s increasingly outspoken criticisms of the team’s performance and general manager Ken Williams’ reported shouting match with hitting coach Greg Walker and … well, there’s definitely plenty of writing on the wall. In fact, that same source told Rosenthal that Guillen’s relationship with Williams is “unsalvageable.”
Guillen has been linked to the Marlins for a long time and Rosenthal speculates that the two sides could rekindle trade discussions that fizzled last offseason when the White Sox reportedly asked for Logan Morrison in return. Presumably they’d accept a whole lot less this time around, particularly since Guillen has just one year remaining on his contract and Williams may want him gone anyway.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)