Sep 15, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen’s future in Chicago has been speculated about constantly for years now, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com thinks the White Sox may actually be ready to fire him after eight seasons as manager.
Rosenthal quotes an unnamed source as saying that the chances of Guillen returning to the White Sox in 2012 have dropped from 95 percent to 50 percent to 10 percent in recent weeks, and Guillen previously made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage next season without a contract extension.
Toss in Guillen’s increasingly outspoken criticisms of the team’s performance and general manager Ken Williams’ reported shouting match with hitting coach Greg Walker and … well, there’s definitely plenty of writing on the wall. In fact, that same source told Rosenthal that Guillen’s relationship with Williams is “unsalvageable.”
Guillen has been linked to the Marlins for a long time and Rosenthal speculates that the two sides could rekindle trade discussions that fizzled last offseason when the White Sox reportedly asked for Logan Morrison in return. Presumably they’d accept a whole lot less this time around, particularly since Guillen has just one year remaining on his contract and Williams may want him gone anyway.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)