Sep 15, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen’s future in Chicago has been speculated about constantly for years now, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com thinks the White Sox may actually be ready to fire him after eight seasons as manager.
Rosenthal quotes an unnamed source as saying that the chances of Guillen returning to the White Sox in 2012 have dropped from 95 percent to 50 percent to 10 percent in recent weeks, and Guillen previously made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage next season without a contract extension.
Toss in Guillen’s increasingly outspoken criticisms of the team’s performance and general manager Ken Williams’ reported shouting match with hitting coach Greg Walker and … well, there’s definitely plenty of writing on the wall. In fact, that same source told Rosenthal that Guillen’s relationship with Williams is “unsalvageable.”
Guillen has been linked to the Marlins for a long time and Rosenthal speculates that the two sides could rekindle trade discussions that fizzled last offseason when the White Sox reportedly asked for Logan Morrison in return. Presumably they’d accept a whole lot less this time around, particularly since Guillen has just one year remaining on his contract and Williams may want him gone anyway.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)