Sep 15, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen’s future in Chicago has been speculated about constantly for years now, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com thinks the White Sox may actually be ready to fire him after eight seasons as manager.
Rosenthal quotes an unnamed source as saying that the chances of Guillen returning to the White Sox in 2012 have dropped from 95 percent to 50 percent to 10 percent in recent weeks, and Guillen previously made it very clear that he doesn’t want to manage next season without a contract extension.
Toss in Guillen’s increasingly outspoken criticisms of the team’s performance and general manager Ken Williams’ reported shouting match with hitting coach Greg Walker and … well, there’s definitely plenty of writing on the wall. In fact, that same source told Rosenthal that Guillen’s relationship with Williams is “unsalvageable.”
Guillen has been linked to the Marlins for a long time and Rosenthal speculates that the two sides could rekindle trade discussions that fizzled last offseason when the White Sox reportedly asked for Logan Morrison in return. Presumably they’d accept a whole lot less this time around, particularly since Guillen has just one year remaining on his contract and Williams may want him gone anyway.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)