Sep 15, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Cano remained in the game and hobbled to first base, and afterward underwent X-rays that came back negative.
Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York writes that Cano “hobbled around the Yankees’ clubhouse, looking like Willis Reed in 1970,” but the second baseman seemed confident that he’d be in the lineup Friday.
Today’s off day comes at a good time for Cano, who’s missed just one game all season while hitting .305 with 26 homers and an .880 OPS. Dating back to 2007 he’s played 787 of a possible 796 games, which is the third-most in baseball behind only Prince Fielder (790) and Adrian Gonzalez (788).
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)