Sep 15, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Cano remained in the game and hobbled to first base, and afterward underwent X-rays that came back negative.
Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York writes that Cano “hobbled around the Yankees’ clubhouse, looking like Willis Reed in 1970,” but the second baseman seemed confident that he’d be in the lineup Friday.
Today’s off day comes at a good time for Cano, who’s missed just one game all season while hitting .305 with 26 homers and an .880 OPS. Dating back to 2007 he’s played 787 of a possible 796 games, which is the third-most in baseball behind only Prince Fielder (790) and Adrian Gonzalez (788).
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)