And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Sep 16, 2011, 5:57 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

Rays 9, Red Sox 2: And things get closer. Three RBI a piece for B.J. Upton, Evan Longoria and Casey Kotchman. Bad starting pitching, bad middle relief, slumbering bats swung by aching men. In other words, par for the course for Boston.

Phillies 3, Marlins 1Phillies 2, Marlins 1: Kyle Kendrick and five relievers limited the Marlins to one run in the first game. In the nightcap, Cliff Lee was one strike — one measly strike! — short of another shutout, but gave up a game-tying homer to Jose Lopez. Ryan Howard drove in the game-winner in the 10th, however. And please save me the sarcastic “I guess all of Ryan Howard’s RBIs are useless” rebop. He was 0 for his previous 15 going back to Sunday. Yes, the RBI was great. But the 0 for 15 happened too. You gotta judge it all, not just the good stuff.

Giants 8, Rockies 5: Pablo Sandoval — the only Giant who decided to pack his bat when they came north from Scottsdale this year — hit for the cycle. Here’s video of all four hits.  I gotta tell ya, the triple looks like the product of a conspiracy with Carlos Gonzalez. I’ve seen European soccer players stand more resolutely against contact than Gonzalez did when he fell down.  I’m calling shenanigans. Launch an investigation.

Pirates 6, Dodgers 2: Ross Ohlendorf pitched well and hit a three-run homer. Sad. This is one of the last “he helped his own causes” of the regular season.

Athletics 6, Tigers 1: Finally, Lloyd McClendon can change his underwear. The streak ends at 12. Brandon McCarthy allowed one run over seven.

Nationals 10, Mets 1: Five hits and three batted in for Ian Desmond. A pathetic display for the Mets, who lost their sixth in a row. After which Terry Collins said his team “folded it up.” It’s a charge that seems to have a little weight. They’re just mailing it in and looking forward to tee times two weeks from now.

Royals 7, White Sox 2: Is it misplaced to praise Mark Buehrle for still working fast when he gives up 15 hits?  Yeah. probably is. Still: two hours and thirty-eight minutes. The man is a the model of efficiency. Even when he’s getting beat like a red headed stepchild.

Rangers 7, Indians 4: Alexi Ogando surrendered but two hits in six shutout innings. No one tell him that he probably took the plurality of the vote in the Ugliest Active Player in Baseball poll in yesterday’s Twitter questions post, OK?

Reds 8, Cubs 6: The Cubs tied it up off Francisco Cordero in the ninth, but Jay Bruce won it with the walkoff job in the 11th inning. Reds starter Homer Bailey gave up a couple of homers. He hasn’t done that a lot lately, so he was asked about it: “You come out there and you don’t expect it to be 40 degrees,” Bailey said.  Fine, maybe it was the weather’s fault. But you can totally expect the weather. There are websites and everything that tell you all about it.

1. macjacmccoy - Sep 16, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Exactly you gotta judge it all. The RBI Counts.

2. philly56 - Sep 16, 2011 at 6:08 AM

That was just unlucky number 113 – now that he’s finally past that he’s good.

3. joshftw - Sep 16, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Kung-Fu Panda hit a triple?!
    What next, will David Ortiz win a footrace with……anyone?

Also, does it count as a loss if the Tigers threw the game to make their coach change his undies?

• proudlycanadian - Sep 16, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Ortiz would have a chance to win against one of the Molina brothers. Probably the oldest one.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:28 AM

There are people that casually stroll faster than the fastest Molina can run.

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Good guess PC. Jose stole a base this season and legged out a single. He’s not as fast as Yadier but he has more gravitas when he runs. Dignity, if you will. Ortiz running is like an exercise not unlike watching a California house being consumed by a landslide; an awesome spectacle, more frightening than amazing, but in tis way so etherial and rare to see something so enormous surfing on destruction that you can’t stop watching. Not until the whole mess has slid to a stop in the rubble. Then you get out the dogs and go looking for victims.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Are we talking about the same Kung-Fu Panda who required FOUR hits from his team-mates to make it from 2nd Base to Home Plate?

4. joshftw - Sep 16, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Also, I didn’t think I could hate Jonathan Papelbon any more until this article mentioned him.

It’s not spam. It’s an article about closers choosing music.

• pbannard - Sep 16, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Unless a really funky trade went down, I’m guessing when Jay Bruce hit that game-winning homer, he made the final score Reds 8, Cubs 6.

• pbannard - Sep 16, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Oops, didn’t mean for that to be a reply to josh. It’s too early in the morning to be thinking.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 16, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Papelbon’s last save opportunity was August 18. That says a lot about the fade by the Red Sox.

• phukyouk - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:18 AM

holy shit… that i did not know.. thats actually pretty crazy.. has to be some sort of record, right?

5. proudlycanadian - Sep 16, 2011 at 6:57 AM

The AL wildcard race is going according to script, but watch out for the Angels.

• hittfamily - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:21 AM

I keep forgetting about them. I get so wrapped up in the Rays playoff push, I forget how well the Angels are playing. It is a 3 team race, with Boston the underdogs. BoSox are atrocious right now, with 2 teams breathing down their necks. %’s be damned. No October ball in Beantown.

• indaburg - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Unfortunately for us Rays fans, Boston has the gross advantage of playing the Orioles 7 times prior to the end of the season. The Rays are at the tremendous disadvantage of having to play the Yankees 7 times in the same time span. The Rays are my team, but looking at the schedule doesn’t warm my heart, especially since Boston typically does to the Orioles what any self respecting team should do to a team as bad as the Orioles–beat their @sses.

While I am happy for yesterday’s convinving win against the Sox, I am still very P.O.’ed at the Rays for losing 2 out of 3 to the flipping Orioles this week. We should be two games back, not three. Losing a series to the second worst team in the AL in the heat of a wild card race is just inexcusable. How the bleep are the Rays 10 and 5 vs. the Sox, and 9 and 9 vs. the Orioles? I mean, seriously, wtf?

• nolanwiffle - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Oriole magic? (we lean pretty heavily on marketing slogans in “Birdland” these days)

• Panda Claus - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Why not? (another shameless and nearly forgotten marketing slogan)

• nolanwiffle - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM

…a question to which the rest of the AL East has collectively responded, “Let us count the ways.” for roughly 14 years now.

6. hittfamily - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Boston had Drew Bledsoe in the booth last night. I think Jim Mora would have been more appropriate. Playoffs? This will go down as the greatest collapse in baseball history. 9 game lead in September, the Rays threw a switch and put it in gear. Meanwhile, the Sox hit the cruise control, and should have hit the panic button by now. Hellickson went 5 2/3 of 2 hit ball, giving up 1 run. I guess it was luck. The dude keeps getting lucky a lot though.

I predict a brawl before the series is over. A Ray got plunked for the 4th time in 4 games vs Boston with no retaliation, and that can’t be going too well. If this one gets out of hand, expect Coco Crisp/James Shields all over again. I dont think any of the Rays have ever charged the mound, but I’m predicting Shawn Rodriguez does. Rodriguez layed down a bunt in a 7-1 game last week. They hit Kotchmann in the next at bat, immediately following a coaches visit. Look for things to get ugly with Shields on the mound.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Do you really think that the Rays best pitcher is going to intentionally plunk somebody in the most important series of the season risking ejection and suspension? They would be wise to back off that nonsense and deal with any problems next season.

• hittfamily - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Oh I completely agree with you. Lighting a fire under Boston would be a terrible idea. They are a team with no drive and no emotion. Giving them anything to rally around would be horrific. I just have a feeling Beckett plunks someone, and Shields repays it. Kotchmann wanted to go to the mound last week, but he kept his emotions in check. Emotions can only be suppressed so long though. I hope Shields doesn’t do it, but if there is a 4 run lead for either side, and his day is coming to a close, I wouldn’t be surprised at all.

7. mercyflush - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:28 AM

last night was a perfect example of why Lee and Halladay should be slightly ahead of Kershaw in the Cy voting. That ball that Lopez hit in the 9th, if they were playing in Dodger Stadium, would have been an out. Lee and Doc have pitched half their games in a bandbox, with less room for error than Kershaw in that pitcher’s park. Not to mention the extra games he pitched against the AAA Pads and Giants.

But seriously, the ballpark factor has to come into play in the Cy voting.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM

I agree with your general premise, however, I disagree that the Lopez HR wouldn’t gone out at Dodger Stadium. That ball was crushed. The wind was blowing straight in, knocking everything down. It only landed a few rows back because of that. On a normal night at CBP, that ball is deep into the left field seats.

• bleedgreen - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:40 AM

There was 3 or 4 balls hit by the Phils that, on a normal night, would have been outta the park. 2 by Chooch, 1 by Pence, and I think there was another one as well. I stopped watching around the 7th as I had spend some time with the lady…. and also watch the It’s Always Sunny premier.

• mercyflush - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I dont know… i was at the game, sitting behind the Phils dugout. it was crushed, that i agree with, however it was a line drive, looked like it had alot of topspin off the bat, kind of like Mayberrys homer. Possible the wind knocked it down a bit, but my impression of it immediately off the bat was that Ibanez was gonna catch it, and there was no way it was going to clear the wall. I still contend that it wouldn’t have been a homer at DS, with no wind. Maybe it’s not an out and it hits the wall, but at worst it’s a double and there’s a man on 2nd, 2 outs.

8. bensdad00 - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:29 AM

With the Phillies win last night (and the smackdown they put on the B-boys in Wisconsin last week) lets have a moment of silence for the Brewer’s ‘league-best’ home record.

9. yankeesfanlen - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Battling it out for steak knives in the AL East while CC goes for #20, then 2 day games.
    Tigers and Rangers at least 4 games out for home field.
    Life is fine in the catbird seat.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 16, 2011 at 8:47 AM

What if CC loses the game? It can happen. I expect that the roof will be closed. It is cold in Toronto today.

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Very true, but of more concern are Alverez and McGowan who I don’t recall the Yanks seeing before. Then again, they’re day games where we’re 38-9.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Alvarez gets a lot of ground ball outs with his sinking fastball. McGowan is pitching like he was 3 years ago; however, his control is not yet as good as it was before the injuries.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I had the pleasure of watching CC pitch last year in Toronto. The Jays had an opportunity early on in that game to throw him off balance, but the moment was lost and CC cruised to an easy victory. Mo pitched the save. There was a Philly fan among those present complaining about Jay’s hitters, basically yelling at them that it was only one pitch, a cutter! hit the damn thing already, or something to that effect. It was hilarious to listen to. I wasn’t sure if he was being facetious but surely everyone is aware that Mo’s cutter is extraordinarily deceptive and has more movement on it than Shakira’s hips.

• Panda Claus - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Alvarez is pretty average unless facing the Orioles. Yankees will probably greet him with an early trip to the showers.

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Tonight’s business with the Universe will be a test for young Cecil. I don’t expect him to fare well against those guys. Cap’n Crunch has been no doubt acclimatizing with maple syrup on his cereal and poutine for lunch; he’ll be himself, so I hope the Beaver Wrestlers aren’t looking for help in that quarter. Their only chance is to make the big fella work; foul off a lot of pitches, get him deep into his pitch count then take their chances with the bullpen.

Cecil needs to throw down in the zone and work his pitches away. He needs to last, too. Last till the 7th at least. Carreno can get it to the 8th, and Janssen the rest of the way. Easily said, right? If this games goes to the Beaver Pen earlier then it is over for the Beaver Men. If the ball is handed to Frank Francisco I shall age noticeably with ever pitch.

10. natstowngreg - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:13 AM

The Nats have 2 more wins than last season, with 14 games to go.
    They moved into 3rd place in the NL East.
    They dropped to 13th in next year’s Amateur Draft, which would be their lowest pick since picking #15 in 2006.
    They’re integrating (or reintegrating, in the case of Strasburg) some good young talent into the roster.
    They try.

If I were a Mets fan, having been swept by an improving team in the same division, and having seen my team’s poor effort, I would be quite ticked off this morning.

11. Francisco (FC) - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM

The blimp had been making it’s way across Pennsylvania for the last hour and had finally arrived at south Philly. About 350 feet long, it was white with a few red lines running across it. The tail fin on the blimp had the letters CC on it a diagonal pattern. The blimp floated across the Schuylkill River and followed the I-76 until it turned sharply towards Citizen’s Bank Park. It casi a shadow over the infield as it rotated so the side was visible. A rectangular section lit up like a huge TV screen rivaling many a jumbotron! Craig’s face as visible as he looked annoyed and a little irate. More than usual anyway. The pipe was sticking out of his mouth puffing bubbles like mad. He took the pipe out of his mouth with a hand as his voice boomed over a large set of speakers mounted on the blimp.

“Philadelphia Phillies fans, it’s time you knew the truth. Ryan Howard is not a great baseball player! Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good guy and plays above average baseball. Acceptable but unspectacular defense, good slugging and a very intimidating way of holding the bat. But worth $25 million dollars a year? I don’t think so! At least you let Jayson Werth walk or you’d have two massively overpaid players on your roster.”

“That being said, I’m willing to let bygones be bygones for once this season. For a whole long weekend. A Truce. Let us be civil in our baseball discourse and bask in the glory that is September Baseball and Pennant Races, such as they are at this time. That will be all!”. The screen on the blimp shut off and it slowly started rotating again.

In the Lair, Craig had pressed a button on his high chair, and the transmission ceased on his end. The blimp would automatically turn and make its way back towards Ohio of its own accord.

“We can do HBT Daily now Tiffany,” he said, turning towards her mini-screen, inset on his 70″ LED Display.

“If I knew you’d be doing that, I would have thought twice about getting air traffic control clearance for you. So what’s this about a Truce?”. She emphasized the word true. You could hear the capital T in her voice as she smirked at him.

Craig, sort of waived dismissively. “Well, just surrendering to the inevitable. The Phillies will clinch the Division shortly so why build up any more animosity?”.

Tiffany replied, “So the fact that they’re playing St. Louis this weekend has nothing to do with it?”

Craig, looked at innocently while saying, “Uh… no.”

“Then what’s that Ryan Howard bobble head doing there on your table.”

Craig bit on his pipe while looking sheepish and said, “I’ll… dispose of it… after Monday…”

12. Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:20 AM

“He was 0 for his previous 15 going back to Sunday. Yes, the RBI was great. But the 0 for 15 happened too. You gotta judge it all, not just the good stuff.”

Howard has ALWAYS been streaky. He’ll go 4 for 8, then 0 for 8 ,then 4 for 8 again, and then go on a long skid, then come back and dominate for a week. It’s just how he does…. I don’t think too many people disagree that he’s over paid. And I don’t think his bat skills warrant any type of worship. But then again I can’t think of too many other players who don’t fit that bill as well.

Who should really get ripped for their play? Crawford. But he’s not really bashed. I mean, you can bash Howard all you want but the fact is, he’s better than Crawford is. Forget RBI, He’s got 20 more runs scored than Crawford and the same batting average. If we were trying to be fair and balanced, there would be many more articles outlining Crawford and his contract. Are the RS out of contention all of a sudden? The Phillies are all locked up for the playoffs pretty much. Let’s talk about what ails the teams still in a race to the playoffs. They have players with layers of sucktitude as well. Imagine that, another replay of 2008 on the horizon. The Rays get in, instead of the RS. Again. Even after breaking the bank for the best FA on the Market, with the trade of A-Gon.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM

J5, when I read Craig’s note about Howard, I thought “Who pooped in your cheerios man?” It is what it is…no reason for us to get our blood boiling about it. Howard haters will never change their tune no matter what the guy does.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM

My blood doesn’t boil over this in the least (I hope it doesn’t seem that way either, you know our “rep”).

I just find humor in the fact that Howard is the poster boy for not living up to his hype when there are other, better examples to use. I just felt compelled to point one of them out.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Jonny5, your oil(I forgot that you don’t really have “blood”) seemed to boiling just a little bit there…at least more than I have ever seen. I took so much pleasure out of Howard’s game winning hit last night that there is nothing that was going to take it from me…especially a little snarkiness from a Braves fan.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Oh, and J5…how much do you think this headline burns up the haters…

“Ryan Howard leads Phils to doubleheader sweep”

He goes 0-4 with two strikeouts in game one…then he sits games 2 but gets to play an inning, gets a double, and the next day he “led them to Doubleheader Sweep” I love it!!!! :D

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:59 AM

LOL!! I love the snark. It adds spice to life. I get more offended by the fans that get all upset by it than the snark itself actually. It allows people to stereotype us, which kind of bothers me to be honest.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Here, here. We all know it’s in good fun, but it won’t stop this thread from climbing upwards of 300 comments now that Ryan Howard’s good name has been besmirched :D

In hindsight, making a parody of Craig bashing Ryan Howard is too easy… as easy as Craig baiting Phillies fans over Howard is… I have a feeling I’ve said this somewhere already… in any case if you’re going to write parody of Craig might as well go over the top, couldn’t think of anything more over the top than using a blimp to announce it to Philadelphia…

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM

They messed that headline up big time. It should have read “Lee leads Phills to double header sweep.” Dude, c’mon. Howard was the quintessential “Mr. Lucky” last night. :P

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I take Pleasure in thinking a Howard bobblehead will be Craig’s Jobu this weekend.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Aw, you don’t seriously think Craig’s going to offer any of his good single malt to a Ryan Howard bobblehead, do you?

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Oh boy, the ol’ memory is showing signs of plaque on the synapses. You know, plaque – “In Recognition of his Sixty One Years of Questionable Service,” etc. – but, uh, if Craig is going to have a Jobu, it’s going to be an ithyphallic Chipper Jones bobblehead with a flip-down weewee like that “Peedro” doll Dan Quayle brought back from Mexico. Hey, if you celebrate Ryan Howard’s luck, you gotta celebrate Chipper’s fertility, you know?

• phillyphreak - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM

At the risk of inspiring a Philly backlash…..

” Howard haters will never change their tune no matter what the guy does.”

This can also be said ” Howard lovers will never change their tune no matter what the guy does.”

• phillyphreak - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Crawford is having a pretty bad year, Howard is having a better season for sure But to be fair, Crawford has played in 119 games and Howard has played in 144. That explains at least part of the run difference. Counting stats depend on games played.

The comparison has never been Crawford is better than Howard (and I know that isn’t what you were saying). But I also wasn’t aware that Howard is the only player being ripped this season. Maybe he’s more popular to rip because certain Phillies fans get their panties in a bunch if you say he’s not that good. Or maybe it hits a nerve with Phillies fans so it’s noticed more…..

And while it’s true that it’s been argued that Howard is in decline, most of the arguments have been using him as an example of why RBI are typically overvalued (I’m not getting back into this just pointing it out).

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I was just pointing out someone besides Howard, who may deserve it more. Because it was fun.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:19 PM

As far as I am concerned, I have no problems at all when people say that Howard is on the decline…of course he is…isn’t everybody? I also have no problem when somebody says that he is overpaid…I’ll continue to say it doesn’t matter to the Phillies when they print money in the basement of CBP and until the contract actually becomes an albatross, I am not worried about it at all.

What does bother me is when you say something like this…

Do you honestly think he is “not that good”? I mean…seriously…in the NL he’s 2 home runs behind King Albert and leads the league in RBIs. Granted he isn’t perfect, but is it really fair to characterize him as “not that good”? I know some people go too far (like the people who campaign for him as MVP…or say he is the best because he has so many RBI). But come on…to be fair, he’s better than “not that good” isn’t he?

• phillyphreak - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM

^^ example.

I never said that he’s not that good. I said that people get offended when someone suggests that hes not that good.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:35 PM

So how is that an example then? So you agree with me then that those people who say he is not that good are wrong? Take a side man.

• phillyphreak - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I said: “Maybe he’s more popular to rip because certain Phillies fans get their panties in a bunch if you say he’s not that good.”

You said: “What does bother me is when you say something like this…
        Do you honestly think he is “not that good”? I mean…seriously…”

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Once again, you don’t answer my question so I will ask it again…

Do you agree with me that those people who say he is not that good are wrong?

• phillyphreak - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:44 PM

You: “So how is that an example then?” (Question)
        Me: “You were my example. Even referencing that kind of situation made you directly challenge that assertion. Example.” (Answer)

I think Howard is good. Elite? No. Good yes.

13. Old Gator - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:37 AM

While all you horsemeat and Velveetaheads are bickering about Mr. Lucky, howsabout a little love for your much-maligned Raul Ibañez, whose assist in the eighth inning last night – a perfect throw that would have killed Schroedinger’s Cat – nailed Omar Infante at the plate and squelched a Feesh…uh…rally (insofar as the Feesh ever rally these days).

Two really fine starts from Anibal Sanchez and Alex Sanabia (look for the latter to replace the hapless Chris Volstad this offseason if Allah is indeed merciful) totally wasted by the Feesh’s offensive ineptitude. If it ain’t the hitters killing their own rallies in their cradles, it’s the third base coaches feeding baserunners to the opposing catchers like a porpoise trainer feeding herring to Flipper at Sea World. Like a lion tamer popping treaties to simba. Like a falconer throwing frozen chicks to his hawk after a good workout in Battersea Park. Like an arsonist pouring kerosene through the basement jalousie of a tenement. Like a corporate lobbyist dumping suitcases full of money into the bank account of his pet congressman. Like…..

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Oh, you mean RAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL!!

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Damn Chris, you totally violated the column separator to the right…

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Yeah I know. I didn’t even know it there was a limit. Now, there’s a poor “L” somewhere out in cyberspace……

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Raul Ibanez Hates the Feesh. He hates them so. So much he brings his entire family to Feesh games in Feeshland. So much so that he plays twice as good as he normally does when he plays against the Feeshes.

Not only did he Howitzer Infante at the plate in the first game, but he also saved the Phills from losing game two when he made that pretty awesome catch in the 9th to keep a runner off the bases. As we know “the piss missle” Lee gave up would have had the Feeses on top by two at the end of the ninth, instad of being tied up 1-1. Raul just hates The Feesh.

14. Francisco (FC) - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Phun Phact: The Tigers are 87-63 and their magic number is 1. The Phillies are 97-51 (11 games ahead of the Tigers in record) but their magic number is 2… hmm…

15. Francisco (FC) - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Phun Phact: The 2nd place team in the AL Central has been eliminated but the third place team has a mathematical life line…

16. APBA Guy - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Interesting about Ogando and the Ugly Contest. My girlfriend has what she calls the “All Ugly Team”. It used to be dominated by pitchers, like Randy Johnson, Julian Tavarez, Gustavo Chacin, and Bartolo Colon. Sadly, only Colon remains to carry on. But happily, yesterday she officially added Ogando to the team independently of any Twitter action.

Even more happily, the A’s continued their recent tradition of winning one game a series last night against Detroit. Home runs from the unlikely trio of Suzuki (14), DeJesus (9) and Pennington (8) at night after a cool-ish day indicate that Scherzer was jet lagged. Only 1 run by Detroit against McCarthy also point to jet lag as a likely explanation for the end of Detroit’s streak. Look for them to right the ship tonight.

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Has she checked out the facial stylin’s of Vincente Padilla? VP some homely, man. She’s have another pitcher, then.

• APBA Guy - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM

She saw a lot of Padilla when he was with Texas, but missed the facial hair. He did not make the All Ugly cut. She’s particular about who receives the honor of inclusion on the list.

17. chuckcecil - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:51 PM

PHI is annoying

18. heynerdlinger - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Where are all the articles by major sportswriters about how great it is that we only have one Wild Card spot so that this Rays-Red Sox race is actually exciting. Can you imagine how boring it would be to watching them fight for home field advantage for a one-game playoff?

19. sepiroth559 - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Not sure where your getting at with the Howard comment…. Im from Philly and if anything all we do around here is look at the bad…. Never give Howard enough credit…. where would the Phils be without his RBIs? Now obviously his other stats arent the greatest, but his RBIS and consistency in getting to 130-140 a year should speak for themselves. Plus his HRs have been steadily declining, so the fact is that means he is getting more hits with RISP and last I checked, Runs are the only things that are counted in the end.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS