Sep 16, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
Perhaps it’s not quite as embarrassing as Jeremy Affeldt losing to some frozen hamburgers, but what it is with left-handers and kitchen accidents lately?
Brett Cecil was scratched from his scheduled start Friday night after suffering a cut on his left index finger while cleaning his blender. Dustin McGowan will take his spot against the Yankees.
Incredibly enough, it’s Cecil’s second household accident of the year. He was similarly injured while cutting chicken during spring training.
Fortunately, Cecil is expected to miss just the one start. Less fortunate is that because the Blue Jays sent him down earlier this year, he won’t yet be arbitration eligible this winter, which means he’s probably still another year away from getting himself a maid.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)