Sep 16, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
Perhaps it’s not quite as embarrassing as Jeremy Affeldt losing to some frozen hamburgers, but what it is with left-handers and kitchen accidents lately?
Brett Cecil was scratched from his scheduled start Friday night after suffering a cut on his left index finger while cleaning his blender. Dustin McGowan will take his spot against the Yankees.
Incredibly enough, it’s Cecil’s second household accident of the year. He was similarly injured while cutting chicken during spring training.
Fortunately, Cecil is expected to miss just the one start. Less fortunate is that because the Blue Jays sent him down earlier this year, he won’t yet be arbitration eligible this winter, which means he’s probably still another year away from getting himself a maid.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)