Sep 16, 2011, 5:02 PM EST
Perhaps it’s not quite as embarrassing as Jeremy Affeldt losing to some frozen hamburgers, but what it is with left-handers and kitchen accidents lately?
Brett Cecil was scratched from his scheduled start Friday night after suffering a cut on his left index finger while cleaning his blender. Dustin McGowan will take his spot against the Yankees.
Incredibly enough, it’s Cecil’s second household accident of the year. He was similarly injured while cutting chicken during spring training.
Fortunately, Cecil is expected to miss just the one start. Less fortunate is that because the Blue Jays sent him down earlier this year, he won’t yet be arbitration eligible this winter, which means he’s probably still another year away from getting himself a maid.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)