Sep 16, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Carlos Beltran told Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News that he “would consider” re-signing with the Giants this offseason “because the pitching is unbelievable” and he’s enjoyed his time in San Francisco, but added that he’d want assurances the team would work to improve the offense around him.
San Francisco ranks dead last among NL teams with 514 runs, which is 41 runs fewer than the next-to-last Padres and 184 runs fewer than the league-leading Reds.
Beltran was acquired at midseason specifically to address the lineup’s lack of punch and has certainly done his part by hitting .320 with a .905 OPS, but he’s also missed 14 of 45 games since the trade with injuries.
It may be a moot point, of course, as Baggarly notes that the Giants’ payroll situation makes re-signing Beltran “a remote possibility” in large part because they’re still on the hook for big salaries to Aaron Rowand and Barry Zito. All of which is why the decision to trade top prospect Zack Wheeler for two months of the impending free agent was such a risky move for the Giants.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)