Sep 16, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Jed Lowrie is hitting just .213 since coming off the disabled list in early August, including a current 0-for-16 slump, and yesterday the Red Sox infielder got a cortisone injection in an effort to play through season-long shoulder problems.
Lowrie missed six weeks after injuring his shoulder in May and told Jason Mastrodonato of MLB.com that getting the injection was an easy decision:
I wanted to do whatever I could to be out there and to help the team and really just get the shoulder feeling better. And [team doctors] said it would do all that. You play the hand that you’re dealt, but I think the hand I’ve been dealt right now, it’s tough to deal with. It’s tough to hit when your shoulder’s inflamed and all sorts of things are going on at once. I’m going to do whatever I can to make sure I can help this team win, however I can.
Prior to the injury Lowrie was hitting well enough to leapfrog Marco Scutaro on the shortstop depth chart, but at this point in the season he’s little more than a utility man. And at age 27 his lengthy history of health problems have kept Lowrie from emerging as a reliable regular.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)