Sep 16, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
Jered Weaver got himself back on track following a shaky stretch in which his ERA rose from 1.78 to 2.49 in five starts, tossing eight innings of one-run ball against the Yankees on September 9 and seven innings of one-run ball versus the A’s on Wednesday.
However, with Weaver just three innings away from tying his career-high workload Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles notes that the right-hander’s velocity is down compared to early in the season.
Here are Weaver’s average fastball velocities by month from Fan Graphs:
April: 90.3 mph
May: 89.7 mph
June: 88.7 mph
July: 89.1 mph
August: 88.7 mph
September: 87.9 mph
Weaver has never been the type of pitcher to blow away hitters with fastball velocity, but he certainly seems to be wearing down somewhat. Not coincidentally his ERA has jumped from 1.86 in the first half to 3.33 in the second half and his strikeout-to-walk ratio has declined from 3.8 to 2.8.
And with the possibility of Weaver starting on short rest Sunday the Angels have to wonder how much he’ll have left in the tank if they somehow make the playoffs.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)