Sep 16, 2011, 6:11 PM EST
Mauer missed a handful of games late last month with what the Twins called an upper respiratory infection and previously sat out two months with complications following offseason knee surgery.
While not as productive as his usual self Mauer had played fairly well since coming off the disabled list in mid-June, hitting .312 with a .390 on-base percentage and .795 OPS in his last 66 games while seeing significant time at first base in addition to catching.
He finishes the first season of a seven-year, $184 million contract with career-lows in nearly every category, including a .287 batting average and .729 OPS in just 82 games. Mauer has been a lightning rod for criticism in Minnesota all year and this certainly won’t help matters, although the Twins stopped having anything to play for weeks ago.
Now the Twins will just hope that a full offseason of rest and rehab will get the former MVP and three-time batting champ fully healthy for 2012, because with Mauer, Justin Morneau, and Denard Span all question marks physically it’ll be tough to count on them turning things around following arguably the worst season in team history.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)