Sep 16, 2011, 9:34 AM EST
Kevin Youkilis still intends to play through a sports hernia which will require offseason surgery, but it’s clear the Red Sox won’t be able to rely on him down the stretch.
Youkilis was pulled from last night’s loss to the Rays after six innings and Red Sox manager Terry Francona told Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com that he will at least sit out Friday’s game.
“He’s sore and he’s not going to play tomorrow,” Francona said. “Actually talked to him before the game a little bit and had a good talk with him. We’ll watch him. He’s nowhere near pulling the plug on the season, or anything like that. But it’s pretty obvious he’s struggling out there.”
Youkilis is 1-for-9 since returning to the lineup earlier this week and is just 6-for-36 (.167) with zero homers and an 11/5 K/BB ratio this month. The 32-year-old is currently batting a career-low .258 on the season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)