Sep 16, 2011, 9:34 AM EDT
Kevin Youkilis still intends to play through a sports hernia which will require offseason surgery, but it’s clear the Red Sox won’t be able to rely on him down the stretch.
Youkilis was pulled from last night’s loss to the Rays after six innings and Red Sox manager Terry Francona told Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com that he will at least sit out Friday’s game.
“He’s sore and he’s not going to play tomorrow,” Francona said. “Actually talked to him before the game a little bit and had a good talk with him. We’ll watch him. He’s nowhere near pulling the plug on the season, or anything like that. But it’s pretty obvious he’s struggling out there.”
Youkilis is 1-for-9 since returning to the lineup earlier this week and is just 6-for-36 (.167) with zero homers and an 11/5 K/BB ratio this month. The 32-year-old is currently batting a career-low .258 on the season.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)