Marlins relievers lock rookie Jose Ceda in bullpen bathroom

Sep 16, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT

Rookies better hope this doesn’t become a standard hazing practice.

Last night Marlins rookie right-hander Jose Ceda decided to use the bathroom in the bullpen at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia and the rest of the relievers blocked him in there using a broom and sandbags.

Here’s the video from MLB.com:

On a related note: John Lackey isn’t a rookie or even a reliever, but if he ever wanders into the bullpen the Red Sox may want to think about trying something similar. Not forever or anything, just until the playoffs are over.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Anxiously awaiting OG’s take on this one…to me, it’s a pretty stupid prank by the bullpen guys, but more stupid of the announcers to bring it up & talk about it, all during the game action.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but Tommy Hutton’s inadvertent comment that they would figure out who was locked inside “by process of elimination” was kinda priceless, wasn’t it?

Anyway, I go back to Howard Johnson and Roger (“virulent racist”) McDowell and the 1986 Mets, who were collectively among the biggest bunch of pranksters ever to sully the suspect professionalism of a baseball field. McDowell was well known for wrapping matches in bubble gum, sneaking under the bench and sticking them to someone’s cleats, and lighting them off – the so-called “hotfoot.” There’s a vivid instructional video of how to do this embedded in the Mutts’ 1986 highlights video. Really.

• vintage1496 - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:48 PM

In defense of the announcers – it was a meaningless game since the Phillies have clinched and the Marlins are nowhere near making the playoffs. The game was boring, 0-0 in the 5th. And it was an amusing prank, although I suppose that’s subjective for the most part.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Yeah I kinda missed that they were cutting to and from it…when I first saw it, I thought they were just ignoring the action on the field completely. I like to hear the play-by-play guy talk about the pitch that is happening when it is happening…but yeah, I guess when the team sucks, and Lee was as on as he was, it wasn’t important.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Then again, Chris – and I thought this is where you were coming from in the first place – when you’ve played so badly and finished so far out of the running, what’s your entitlement to ignoring the game yourselves and playing around like a bunch of kids? It could easily be viewed as an extension of the give-a-shit attitude with which a lot of us (well, no, there aren’t a lot of us if by “us” I mean fans) think this team has approached the season as a whole.

So to clarify – I appreciated Hutton’s faux pas for all the wrong reasons, but it was still funny.

2. mojosmagic - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Nothing like winning.

3. Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I’ve locked people in portable toilets before. I’ve locked people in gigantic aeration pressure vessels before too. And I’ve been locked in my office and stink bombed on many occasions. Life is a blast if you let it.

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I got stuck once on an elevator with a pregnant girl in heavy labor. Me, her boyfriend and her. And the kid, who seriously wanted out. That wasn’t funny then but holy crap do I laugh about it now. I have never, in my entire life, been so happy to see a maintenance guy before. For years I bought him a cup of coffee every morning we were at work together after that.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:22 PM

That’s pretty awesome. I bet they were glad to have you in there instead of a maintenance guy though.

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Well the BF was. The young lady could have cared less. She was pretty preoccupied. It was only about 20 minutes, start to finish and we were at the floor with the delivery suite but the doors wouldn’t open more than a few inches. There was a zipper head stuck in the track it turned out. The maintenance guy was on that floor dealing with installing some modems or some crap. He grabbed a crowbar and just levered the whole thing open once someone got him from wherever he’d been working.

I took the stairs for the rest of my time there, too. Still take the stairs, in fact.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug