Shane Victorino wins Branch Rickey Award for charity work

Sep 16, 2011, 1:20 PM EST

Victorino_Shane

Each team nominates a player for the Branch Rickey award–which is given annually to a big leaguer “for exceptional community service”–and this year’s winner is Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino.

During the past year Victorino has raised $500,000 for charities in Hawaii and also pledged $1 million to remodel a 105-year-old Boys and Girls Club in Philadelphia, which is now called the “Shane Victorino Boys and Girls Club.”

He’ll receive the award from the Rotary Club of Denver during an event in November. Last year’s winner was Vernon Wells, then of the Blue Jays.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Good for the Flyin’ Hawaiian.

2. halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Congratulations Shane. This is the just beginning of many awards and trophy’s that the Phillies will be given this year.

• gogigantos - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM

good thing he is from Hawaii and didn’t steal any jobs here in the good ol’ USofA

that is a baited hook eh

3. cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM

It’s kind of phunny because the one Phlly most people can say sh!t about with little phear of repercussion is Shane Patrick Victorino. I have little sense of the guy, but my impression is that he talks real phast and spends a lot of time scopin’ for babes. An impression I’ve been left with from Philly Phans on this very site. And now, here is revealed as quite a humanitarian. Well done Shane Patrick Victorino, well done.

• kopy - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM

He looks like he has gained weight in this picture, or lost his chin.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Up until this year, Shane made a TON of mental mistakes. The little things…swinging at a 2-0 pitch out of the strikezone…getting picked off 2nd…misplaying a ball out in center even though we all know he is a great fielder(he’s won 3 straight GG’s but around here, GG’s don’t mean anything…see: Griffey Jr., Ken) His entire game has improved.

Now if he would, ya know, stop saying “Ya know” 50 times per minute in interviews :D

• kopy - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Shane’s definitely not the only athlete or young person to overuse “ya know” as a space filler. It’s incredibly annoying when you pay attention to it.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Cole says “Ya know” 10 times per sentence.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Yeah, but Cole is married to Heidi. So, I give him a pass.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Talks fast? Where would you ever get an idea like that. (slips note under door titled “Read”)

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM

No, Really, that one MUST BE READ. I disturbed my office by laughing so hard.

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM

LMAO. I miss Big Roy more than ever, now. “5000 stairs”? He must be slowing down.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I lost it with Mayberry and the Mermaid theme….

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Best line…

“Chooch: Okay. Hey Missee Peppercorns, Yohn Mayberry say he going to burss through his panss yuss thinking ob you in mormaid costume.”

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I liked this one better.

Chooch: Okay. Ahscuse me, Missee Peppercorns. Will joo go to de prong wipp Yohn Mayberry ann dress as mormaid wipp seachell ober jour chi-chis?

• jwbiii - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:24 PM

“Carlos “Chooch” Ruiz: Why donn we do an Onder De Sea theme?

Principal Manuel: Well, I’ll be damned. An Under the Sea theme. That’s actually, like, a decent idea.”

Aquaman!

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Wipp a seachell ober jour chi-chis…yeah, that’s pretty freaking classic…and I can picture Chooch actually saying exactly that too.

4. halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:14 PM

“Now if he would, ya know, stop saying “Ya know” 50 times per minute in interviews”

My guess is his ADD disorder has a lot to do with the ya know’s and his speech speed.

Maybe Charlie Manuel can work with him on correcting his speech deficiencies.

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

ROFL! Oh yeah, ‘ceps, that’ll help. Can you imagine the love-child of Cholly & Shane? Be like if Yoda and R2D2 had a kid.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I was actually thinking more of the offspring results of Elmer Fudd and Lady Gaga. But, Yoda and R2D2 will suffice.

5. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I think it was a waste of time. I’m not sure there are a lot of 105 year olds around nowadays.

6. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I heard MLB is going to suspend Victorino for winning the award, and give all his charity accolades to the Giants

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4943)
  2. M. Kemp (3482)
  3. J. Kang (2607)
  4. J. Upton (2591)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2571)
  1. C. McGehee (2541)