Sep 16, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Each team nominates a player for the Branch Rickey award–which is given annually to a big leaguer “for exceptional community service”–and this year’s winner is Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino.
During the past year Victorino has raised $500,000 for charities in Hawaii and also pledged $1 million to remodel a 105-year-old Boys and Girls Club in Philadelphia, which is now called the “Shane Victorino Boys and Girls Club.”
He’ll receive the award from the Rotary Club of Denver during an event in November. Last year’s winner was Vernon Wells, then of the Blue Jays.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8