Sep 16, 2011, 1:20 PM EST
Each team nominates a player for the Branch Rickey award–which is given annually to a big leaguer “for exceptional community service”–and this year’s winner is Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino.
During the past year Victorino has raised $500,000 for charities in Hawaii and also pledged $1 million to remodel a 105-year-old Boys and Girls Club in Philadelphia, which is now called the “Shane Victorino Boys and Girls Club.”
He’ll receive the award from the Rotary Club of Denver during an event in November. Last year’s winner was Vernon Wells, then of the Blue Jays.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)