Stat of the Day: Who are the best-hitting pitchers?

Sep 16, 2011, 2:46 PM EST

Ross Ohlendorf, Dana Eveland, Tim Federowicz

In honor of Ross Ohlendorf smacking a three-run homer against the Dodgers last night after coming into the game with a career .070 batting average, here’s a list of the best-hitting active pitchers based on their career OPS:

PA      OPS
Micah Owings        217     .820
Dontrelle Willis    443     .663
Yovani Gallardo     263     .660
Carlos Zambrano     708     .646
CC Sabathia         104     .627
Mike Leake          125     .606
Daniel Hudson       106     .601
Dan Haren           291     .581

Prior to this season Micah Owings was so good at hitting and so bad at pitching that becoming a hitter who occasionally pitches seemed like a good idea, but he’s 7-0 with a 3.05 ERA in 59 innings for the Diamondbacks and is hitting just .211.

All of the other guys on the above list have impressive numbers for a pitcher, but it’s worth noting that they’re still pretty terrible at the plate in general. For instance, Dontrelle Willis has the second-best OPS at .663, which is lower than position players who’re often mocked for their lack of production like Aaron Miles (.674), Jack Wilson (.676), Miguel Cairo (.682), and Yuniesky Betancourt (.683).

Incidentally, after last night’s homer Ohlendorf boosted his career OPS from .140 to .211 (and it comes with a nifty 47/3 K/BB ratio).

1. ThisIsBaseball - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about this topic this morning. Stop reading my brain!

2. Panda Claus - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Zach Britton, a rookie pitcher for the Orioles, has an average of .625 (5-8, 1-2B, 1-HR, 3-R, 2-RBI, 1.125 SLG, 1.75 OPS). Yeah, I guess it’s a bit early to get excited.

• randomdigits - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM

They should have made a PA qualifier on the list as I to was disappointed not to see Zach’s name up there.

• Panda Claus - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:26 PM

He’s only 96 PAs behind Sabathia.

3. paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Micah Owing career OPS = .820

Ryan Howard in 2011 = .831

[runs for cover]

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Why do you always bring the Phillies into everything, paperbag? Can’t we have one non-Phillies thread on this board?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Because paperlions is a douchebag and likes to start trouble. Paper told me the other day that he was going to keep screwing with me for his own entertainment and to make sure I straightened up my act. He’s a piece of shit.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Yep, that’s me. A total piece of crap, crotchety, narrow minded, willfully ignorant, intolerant, big mouthed piece of crap….you got me.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Geeze bag, I was just kidding. Talk about thin skin…sheesh.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:25 PM

paper,

You bring in Ryan Howard intentionally to piss Phillies fans off to get your “entertainment” for the day and you think that’s funny? Philly fans have a great sense of humor. Not when it involves an obvious rip.

[stands up]

• b7p19 - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:27 PM

CF, I think he was refering to biceps calling him a piece of Sh&*.

• uberfatty - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM

paper told you the other day that any time you personally attacked someone he would call you out on it.

i learned when growing up that if you stop taking the bait, they will stop the bullying. Stop taking the bait, and the phillies comments will magically disappear.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:32 PM

“One thing I have learned about Philly fans this year, you guys have absolutely zero sense of humor. None.”

No, I think he is actually referring to “Philly fans” in this comment…unless by “Phillies fans” he means bicepts…

• uberfatty - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:34 PM

CF i think he just missed your sarcasm, due to lack of a sarcasm font.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM

uberfatty,

Stick to European players scouting and evaluations. Seems like you are an expert in that field.

Paper told me also that I provide him entertainment. Well, paper, here’s your entertainment for the day. Are you satisfied before you break from work on the weekend? Any further Ryan Howard trashing?

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:43 PM

HB…I know I am going to go stand right in front of your crosshairs here, but here goes…

RELAX man. Even paperbag isn’t actually stupid enough to compare owings to Ryan Howard as a hitter. He was just screwing around. Don’t take it so personally…it’s this type of stuff from you that gives the Phillies fans a bad name.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Yeah, I missed the sarcasm on that one Chris, my bad. I admit, you have had some cleverly sarcastic posts the last month or so, some of which I miss….I think part of the problem (or at least, my problem) is that tone can bleed from one person’s post to another…making it more difficult to discern subtle sarcasm from serious rebuke…especially, when the responses of some people always read like they should be sarcasm, but are not.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Chris,

I give Phillies fans a bad name? Are you joking? Why, because I’m passionate and I don’t take shit from a lot of these NY punks that are jealous of Philly now that we are the center of the sports world? Because I like to put out there our dominance like Yankee and Mutts fans have been doing for years and years? No, this is payback. This is Philadelphia’s time. They need to take it like men and stop crucifying every little thing about our team (i.e. Ryan Howard). If I have to take them on alone and be the hated Philly guy, so be it.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Exactly, Chris. It was not a serious comparison, just a funny one.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM

HB…I didn’t say that YOU give the Phillies fans a bad name…I said this kind of stuff does give us all a bad name and I mean that. This isn’t being passionate…it’s being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. You don’t like paper…that’s fine. Everybody on this board argues with one another at one point or another. I am not saying to lose any of that passion. Just save it…for times when it’s justified. Because if you don’t, then even when it is justified, it won’t be taken seriously.

• kopy - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Why do people from Philadelphia always compare their city, people, and teams directly against New York? It’s a big world out there.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Kopy,

The rivalry is between Philly and New York. That’s it. No other cities matter when it comes to sports between the two towns in all sports (with the exception of the Yankees-Bosox).

• uberfatty - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM

HB, have to agree with Chris on this. You take things very personal and act like jokes about the team are personal insults against yourself.

Also, surprised you bring up the Euro thing again, what with all the running and ducking of honest questions the other day. Dare I ask one more time if you feel Toronto should be relocated to another city inside the U.S.?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Uber,

There you are about this Toronto relocation thing again. No, the Blue Jays are fine where they are in Canada. Stop trying to compare the special relationship the U.S. share with Canada with Europe or other foreign countries.

Weak.

P.S. Stop worrying about my comment style. I will comment in any way I see fit.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:17 PM

…or if all US ball players playing in Canada, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, the Caribbean, and various Central and South American countries should be sent back to the US….you know, because they are stealing jobs from players in those countries.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Agreed, paper. First comment I have ever read that makes sense from you. Yeah, if I was a Korean, why would I want American players there when I have my own people that are capable of playing for my country?

Now you are starting to get it.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Oh, I get it. The problem is that you aren’t blaming the primary perpetrators in the US job issue. That US owned companies have abandoned the workers in their own country for cheaper one elsewhere. If rich Americans ever start investing in their country again, maybe it will be a great society again…but right now they are interested only in their accumulation competition. The US is in this state because the people that own everything (and directly or by proxy run everything) have made it this way. It is not the fault of immigrants or poor people, they have no power to make policy or decisions.

• halladayslabia - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Is it too late for me to get in on this?

• detiger69 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Actually biceps, YOU give yourself a bad name. You don’t come across as being “passionate”, you come across as being hostile usually with streams of vulgarity and personal attacks against anyone who dares to disagree with you. You also might want to check your facts before you start your rants. Last I checked San Francisco is the defending Champs not Philadelphia. And those supposedly jealous NY fans beat your Phillies the year before that. Plus, the commenting was started by PaperLions, a reference to someone who is most like is from the Detroit area or at least Detroit fan. All you do is prove you are all muscle and no brain. So, why don’t you learn to emulate your hero Halladay and show some CLASS and RESPECT for the other posters on this site. Halladay rarely does interviews preferring to let his play do the talking, do the same and shut up and let your Phillies play do the talking!

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Paper, you continue to make more sense by the minute:

That US owned companies (MLB) have abandoned the workers in their own country for cheaper one elsewhere.

That’s why MLB want to tap even more countries for talent. It’s cheaper to do so than in the U.S. Why do you think we have baseball academies all over Latin America and have for more than 30 years? Because it doesn’t cost much to set them up and run them because they are impoverished. If we did it here, it would cost them probably 100 fold the amount.

American sports fans should be outraged about this on multiple levels. I have been for years.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM

detiger69,

• halladayslabia - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I think it is wonderful that pitchers get to bat in the national league. The pitcher gets to have more fun, and at the end of the day, isn’t that what it is all about: Having fun. If everyone has fun. and no one gets hurt,that is the best day of the year. I love the Phillies, but I love all teams. I believe good sportsmanship is essential to good baseball.

Yay Team

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM

halladayslabia,

For you to take the time to create a WordPress account off my handle instead of creating a legitimate one or using your real one to come on here and debate me, you must be a loser.

• errorcard - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Biceps, it’s really a one-sided rivalry when you’re talking about the attitude of NY Yankee fans toward the Phillies. Yankee fans have thought about the Phillies once in the last 40+ years: the 2009 World Series. But Philly fans seem to have some kind of complex — maybe because they lost? But beat the Yankees in the World Series this year and maybe you’ll get Yankee fans’ attention. Regardless, you can take solace in the fact that Met fans hate the Phillies!

• uberfatty - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM

This string of coments seems to be as good a time as any to bring up your thoughts on these commenting boards shortly after your re-instatement HB:

“halladaysbiceps – Jul 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I realized that it was stupid on my part to post like an animal on this site, with having no backbone to stand by my dumb comments. We are all fans of our own teams and get crazy when discussing them. However, I missed the daily conversation with people that I enjoyed conversing with and the tradeoff of not being a tough guy to talking to them was a no-brainer.

It’s better to be polite and get your point across as suppose to an idiot like me in the past. I’m not a veteran board message guy and had to learn the hard way. That’s life, I guess.”

Where oh where did THAT cepts go off to these past couple of weeks? Kinda miss him.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:00 PM

errorcard,

Did I ever mention a Yankees-Phillies rivalry? No. I said the exception was the Yankees/Red Sox (did you read what I wrote?). Phillies/Yankees have never had a rivalry because they are in different leagues.

Eagles/NY Giants
        Sixers/Knicks
        Flyers/Rangers
        Phillies/Mets

That is what Philly’s rivalries are. Period. Nothing else.

• uberfatty - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM

one more:

“halladaysbiceps – Jul 8, 2011 at 9:42 AM
        Thank you. Just keeping everything simple for now on. Common sense is the guide I’m using.

Sometimes on comment boards, it’s hard to balance between being yourself and crossing a line into someone that you’re not. But, I know now what the line is. It’s now easy going forward.”

Please come back!

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

uberfatty,

For you to go back to something that I posted on July 8th is pretty despicable. Shows me that you take me too personally. Buy a dog and don’t worry about my comments towards other people. Things change. I am the commenter that I am. I try being reasonable, but if you tick me off, you’ll get my honest opinion and I don’t care anymore. It is what it is. I won’t apologize anymore for it.

• halladayslabia - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I respect all fans. I enjoy joyfully cheering for the Phillies, but I also respect my opponent. I might cheer Ryan Howard when he hits a home run, but I also have to clap with admiration when Chipper Jones or David Wright hit home runs. They entertained me, and all I really want is to be entertained. Arguing statistics is really silly, because there is only 1 statistic that really matters: % of Joy in my heart, the Phillies have me at100% my entire life. Win lose or draw, I’m just really proud of them for trying.

• uberfatty - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Yes that was despicable for me to pull something you said 3 months ago, which was very well received by other commenters, and re-print those quotes in the hopes that the decorum comes back. Despicable.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Whatever, dude. It’s a comment board, not a church. Have a good weekend. I’m outta here.

• uberfatty - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM

You have a wonderful one as well. I am rooting for the Phils to take down the Cards this weekend to vault the Brewers closer to the postseason. Should be a good 4 gamer.

• halladayslabia - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I too am out of here. Have a wonderful weekend friends. Be safe.

Sincerely,
        Evil Cartman

• sneschalmers - Sep 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Aw paperlions, don’t generalize to all Philly fans. Some of us are sane, I swear. The Howard extension still gives me headaches.

• bigleagues - Sep 16, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I know lots of Philly Phans (in real life) and none of them take it hook, line and sinker like DocsBiceps.

And if DocsBiceps is this defensive about a Howard/Owings ‘comparison’ – how’s he gonna be when it’s the Tigers squaring off against the DBacks in the World Series?!

Will we even see him again?

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Here we go….

• b7p19 - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:25 PM

He should age better too.

• dlevalley - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I though it was funny.

• gogigantos - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I am obviously cherry picking my stats, quotes, and the sample size is small being taken just from this tread of reply. However, I do think it is representative of predictable and observed offensive behavior on the rise again. It is offensive, fun to watch and read at times the slow meltdown of an arm muscle, but, well,, sometimes it is just rude.

“you must be a loser”
      “he is a douchebag”
      “He’s a piece of shit.”
      “You are a tool”
      -These are real conversation stimulators or solid debate dialogue, aren’t they? Not personal at all.

“Philly fans have a great sense of humor. Not when it involves an obvious rip.”
      -Still, no need to start calling names.

“I give Phillies fans a bad name? Are you joking? Why, because I’m passionate and I don’t take shit from a lot of these NY punks that are jealous of Philly now that we are the center of the sports world”
      -A little inferiority complex next to NY is understandable, doesn’t mean you need to be insulting.

“this is payback”
      -nya nya nya thhhhhhhhtp

“They need to take it like men and stop crucifying every little thing about our team”
      -Easier said than done, eh?

“I will comment in any way I see fit”
      -and we all have to like it and say nothing?

“All you do is prove you are all muscle and no brain. So, why don’t you learn to emulate your hero Halladay and show some CLASS and RESPECT for the other posters on this site.”
      -Amen. For a guy who seems to demand that all kneel and worship an the altar of Phils and Philidelphia, class would be a good ingredient. If I or any from SF got uppity every time a gay joke was made,,, Jesus,, turn on the sarcasm meter and lighten up.
      A little research, I mean just a name click on google, might earn you a little respect ‘Cepts before you go referring to known writers and personalities and concepts with your playground vocabulary. You might learn something.

“You are a tool and I will comment as I see fit. You make no sense and should stay out of this discussion.”
      -That is a sure invite to discussion and debate.

“Whatever, dude”
      -Yes, that is a debate winner for sure. Or is that the playground child in all of us taking his ball and going home?
      Maybe, Little,t, is the greatest baiter of them all?
      There are times when one’s narrow view of the world is on display, and it is shameful to all who have to see. Like the game and the Show, it is all entertainment for sure. Watching a trophy fish rise from the depths to sink into bait is fun,,
      Why is it despicable to remind, or be reminded, that none of this is personal until you make it so?
      I will now return to resisting saying a word and earn the pennies I save.

• gogigantos - Sep 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM

ignorance, being ignored, is close to flattery, a fine form of being right

4. Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:34 PM

LMAO!!!! You guys…… Bunch of kidders. Silly heads…

If there were a HBT dinner dance where everyone showed up, it would either be a riot (ha ha type), or a RIOT (blood and fists type)

Either way, It’s top shelf entertainment.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Some of the people on this board would need some serious medication to attend that HBT commenter’s ball I recommended a while back…SERIOUS. MEDS.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Like Tequila, bourbon, and scotch?

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I was thinking more like a whole lot of Lithium

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM

No PL. It’s Bourbon, Scotch, and Beer. Tequilla is fermented lawn clippings. I’m sure of it.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Blasphemy. Do not denigrate the greatness that is blue agave.

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Gin boys. Gin and lots of it. I’d recommend it IV but then you’d miss the fragrant botanicals.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Ahhh, I see this is your version of Ryan Howard huh??

Well the Blue agave is no more than a common lawn weed, all hyped up to be something better than it is. I’m here to tell you it’s crap. Cuuuuuuuu-Rap. . ;)

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Gin??? I use real Christmas trees.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:26 PM

“Nice Johnny….for a lawn weed, it sure does grow slow…if it didn’t take 7-12 yrs to grow to maturity, maybe good tequila wouldn’t be so pricey….I pay way more for my tequila than I do for good well-aged Irish whiskey, rum, or bourbon.”‘

Exactly like Ryan Howard then… interesting…. Good. Pricey. Slow to mature. You sir pay extra money for that product??? are you nuts? LMAO! Oh, I am having too much fun with this now..

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I also prefer anejo (or at least reposado), which are…um….not white. Tequila also excels at context dependent metrics, like….um…you know….helping one score.

• gogigantos - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

mmm meds and liquor
        meth and psychedelics, mmmm
        long party sedated or otherwise with a bunch of baseball crazed lunatics good

5. cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I have no quarrel with tequila. Its fine in girl drinks (your margaritas and such). It is, in the end, cactus juice, and there is a certain spice to life in consuming the dew of a plant that tries to harm you. A bit like drinking the blood of a fallen enemy but without the coolness of slaughtering your foes then consuming them. It’s an uncivilized drink, but sometimes uncivilized is called for.

Gin is for the more civil. The dignified. The free of malaria.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Tequilla is soooo over rated though…… ;)

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM

It wasn’t over rated in 2006.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Only crappy tequila should go in girly drinks. The good stuff should be neat or on the rocks, a pinch of sea salt or kosher salt is optional. No fruit.

• cur68 - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Your blatant criticism of all fruit is stain upon this message board, ‘lions. I’ll have you know that gin is best with fruit, but lime in particular if you have any class. Key lime to be precise. Tequila is only at its best when blended with ice, strawberries, lime juice & sugar and a healthy splash of triple sec. Some salt around the rim and you’re off to the races. I despair at ever reforming you.

• paperlions - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Tequila is at it’s best by itself in a glass.

I have no problem with fruit, per se. I just want it to stay away from my tequila.

6. txnative61 - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:09 AM

To sneak in at the end of this thread, as regards Philly being the center of the sports Universe, trying to be totally unbiased, from pretty much the Black Hole of sports in Seattle, over the last few years, say 8-10 or so, in major professional sports Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, my judgement would be that (pause, drumroll), well, Boston is actually closer to the center of the American sports universe than Philly. Sorry, just sayin.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester