Terry Collins rips into struggling Mets: “We’ve folded it up”

Sep 16, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v New York Mets Getty Images

Last night the Mets were blown out for their sixth straight loss, falling to 71-79, and manager Terry Collins ripped into the team, telling reporters they’ve “folded it up” and “I won’t play that game.”

Here’s more from Collins, who said he was “disgusted” with the team’s performance lately:

Perception is reality in our game and the perception I have right now is we’ve folded it up. You want to see intenseness? You want to see me be intense? You guys are going to see it. I won’t play that game. You come and play the game right. I don’t care what the situation is. I don’t care about anything but playing the game correctly. That’s all I care about. Our fans should be upset. I don’t blame them one bit.

To his credit Collins also threw himself into that mix, noting that “we didn’t coach, we didn’t manage, we didn’t play” and “I’m the manager of this team and I’m responsible for it.”

Collins’ longstanding reputation as a hard-ass has mostly been dormant this season, but it’s clearly bubbling up at this point. New York is eight games below last season’s win total with 12 games remaining, but Collins explained that he needs to prepare the Mets to play hard through Game 162 for “crunch time next year, when we are fighting for something.”

1. halladaysbiceps - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Collins is a good baseball man and wants to win, but there is only so much you can do as a manager with the talent you are given. He hasn’t had the pitching all year to compete, so I’m not sure what he expected.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Plus, they traded his best player out from under him – not saying it wasn’t justified given his impending free agency and the size of his contract, but it is what it is.

Then again, I bet you there’d’ve been a five game swing, minimally, if Wally Backman had been named manager. There’s still time to fix Wally’s teeth and have him ready for a press conference in November.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I’m not sure if Wally is better or not, but Collins seems to never get the most out of his players. Houston showed it. And the Angels players petitioned to have him removed.

• baseballisboring - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:26 PM

very true, but not really the point of what he’s saying. seems like he just wants to see some fire from his players. this time of year when you’re not in a pennant race there’s a tendency to just go through the motions.

2. westwoodwarrior8 - Sep 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM

thats fair to say @halladaysbiceps, but theres no excuse for getting swept at home by the then last place Nats, and for going 1 and like 10 on the homestand vs. the Marlins, Cubs, and Nationals….i mean the Mets are tanking it.

3. Francisco (FC) - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM

It’s a minor mystery how a team falls so far, so fast as the Mets in recent years. I mean it’s not a first to last thing but they went all the way to the 2006 NLCS and had the NL East Division in the bag in ’07 until the bag tore apart with a hole in the bottom, but it’s like they’ve been struck with a disease since September of 2007.

4. mikedi33 - Sep 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM

The Mets have tanked it every year since 2007. That’s why they were foolish not to trade Reyes when he was at top value. During the off season they should trade Wright. It’s time to clean house and rebuild properly.

5. sdelmonte - Sep 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I applaud Terry for this. I think he’s done a good job and that he’s right to call his team out.

6. jcarne9014 - Sep 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I don’t care if Wally Backman or Conne Mack was the manager of this team. Let’s face it…they are awful. It’s amazing they did as well as they did this year. Many more lean years ahead, it looks like.

7. mojosmagic - Sep 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Terry should be manager of the year given what he had to work with. The Mets usually pack it in the last week of August.

8. damnyankee13 - Sep 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM

The Mets were a team, once, were known for producing great pitchers.Now they produce great losses.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3028)