Sep 17, 2011, 1:02 PM EST
The Orioles had Adam Jones on the original lineup card for last night’s game against the Angels, but he was scratched after feeling consistent pain in his ailing right thumb after taking his first swing during batting practice.
Jones hasn’t started a game since last Friday due to the injury. While it has bothered him off and on since May, the pain has intensified over the past week. X-rays on the thumb came back negative, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Jones was scheduled to be examined by a hand specialist last night.
“I’m mad,” Jones said. “But at the end of the day I don’t want to hurt myself or the team and right now I’d be hurting myself and the team.”
“I don’t know exactly what it is,” he said. “It is annoying me and I know I want to be on the field with my teammates.”
Jones, 26, is batting .280/.320/.463 with 23 home runs, 80 RBI, 11 stolen bases and a .783 OPS over 583 plate appearances this season. While he has posted career highs in OPS+ and ISO (Isolated Power), he has ranked below-average defensively in center field for three straight seasons, according to Ultimate Zone Rating. He leads American League center fielders this season with eight errors.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (261)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)