Sep 17, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
The Orioles had Adam Jones on the original lineup card for last night’s game against the Angels, but he was scratched after feeling consistent pain in his ailing right thumb after taking his first swing during batting practice.
Jones hasn’t started a game since last Friday due to the injury. While it has bothered him off and on since May, the pain has intensified over the past week. X-rays on the thumb came back negative, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Jones was scheduled to be examined by a hand specialist last night.
“I’m mad,” Jones said. “But at the end of the day I don’t want to hurt myself or the team and right now I’d be hurting myself and the team.”
“I don’t know exactly what it is,” he said. “It is annoying me and I know I want to be on the field with my teammates.”
Jones, 26, is batting .280/.320/.463 with 23 home runs, 80 RBI, 11 stolen bases and a .783 OPS over 583 plate appearances this season. While he has posted career highs in OPS+ and ISO (Isolated Power), he has ranked below-average defensively in center field for three straight seasons, according to Ultimate Zone Rating. He leads American League center fielders this season with eight errors.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires