Sep 17, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
The Orioles had Adam Jones on the original lineup card for last night’s game against the Angels, but he was scratched after feeling consistent pain in his ailing right thumb after taking his first swing during batting practice.
Jones hasn’t started a game since last Friday due to the injury. While it has bothered him off and on since May, the pain has intensified over the past week. X-rays on the thumb came back negative, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Jones was scheduled to be examined by a hand specialist last night.
“I’m mad,” Jones said. “But at the end of the day I don’t want to hurt myself or the team and right now I’d be hurting myself and the team.”
“I don’t know exactly what it is,” he said. “It is annoying me and I know I want to be on the field with my teammates.”
Jones, 26, is batting .280/.320/.463 with 23 home runs, 80 RBI, 11 stolen bases and a .783 OPS over 583 plate appearances this season. While he has posted career highs in OPS+ and ISO (Isolated Power), he has ranked below-average defensively in center field for three straight seasons, according to Ultimate Zone Rating. He leads American League center fielders this season with eight errors.
- The beauty of belief 14
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 34
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 70
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)