Sep 17, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
And now for the least surprising story of the day.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Brian Wilson bought two pairs of the recently released Nike MAG shoes, as worn by Michael J. Fox in “Back the Future II.” Of course he did. In fact, Wilson was seen wearing a pair in the dugout last night.
While this is consistent with Wilson’s quirky persona, it was for a good cause. The shoes are being auctioned off to benefit research to find a cure for Parkinson’s disease. Wilson dropped between $5,000-$10,000 for each pair.
As for the baseball side of things, Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti said yesterday that Wilson will likely need one more throwing session off a mound before being activated from the disabled list. The Giants’ closer hasn’t pitched since August 15 due to right elbow inflammation.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 79
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 22
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15