Sep 17, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
And now for the least surprising story of the day.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Brian Wilson bought two pairs of the recently released Nike MAG shoes, as worn by Michael J. Fox in “Back the Future II.” Of course he did. In fact, Wilson was seen wearing a pair in the dugout last night.
While this is consistent with Wilson’s quirky persona, it was for a good cause. The shoes are being auctioned off to benefit research to find a cure for Parkinson’s disease. Wilson dropped between $5,000-$10,000 for each pair.
As for the baseball side of things, Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti said yesterday that Wilson will likely need one more throwing session off a mound before being activated from the disabled list. The Giants’ closer hasn’t pitched since August 15 due to right elbow inflammation.
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 1
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 5
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 31
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)