Sep 17, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
And now for the least surprising story of the day.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Brian Wilson bought two pairs of the recently released Nike MAG shoes, as worn by Michael J. Fox in “Back the Future II.” Of course he did. In fact, Wilson was seen wearing a pair in the dugout last night.
While this is consistent with Wilson’s quirky persona, it was for a good cause. The shoes are being auctioned off to benefit research to find a cure for Parkinson’s disease. Wilson dropped between $5,000-$10,000 for each pair.
As for the baseball side of things, Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti said yesterday that Wilson will likely need one more throwing session off a mound before being activated from the disabled list. The Giants’ closer hasn’t pitched since August 15 due to right elbow inflammation.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)