Sep 17, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Nelson Cruz is back in the Rangers’ starting lineup tonight against the Mariners as the designated hitter. He struck out in a pinch-hit appearance on Wednesday, but this will be his first start since straining his left hamstring on August 28.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers hope Cruz will be able to play right field again as soon as Tuesday. If he feels well enough to give it a go, Josh Hamilton will become the center fielder and the hot-hitting David Murphy will play left field. Craig Gentry and Endy Chavez, who have split center field duties for most of the season, will head to the bench.
Cruz, 31, is batting .270/.321/.530 with 28 home runs, 84 RBI, nine stolen bases and an .851 OPS over 470 plate appearances this season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)