Phillies beat Cardinals, clinch fifth straight NL East title

Sep 17, 2011, 11:12 PM EDT

oswalt getty Getty Images

Pop that champagne, Philadelphia.

Roy Oswalt fanned seven batters and scattered five hits over seven dominant innings Saturday night at Citizens Bank Park as the Phillies topped St. Louis 9-2 and locked up their fifth consecutive National League East title in front of a sold-out home crowd.

Jimmy Rollins went 4-for-5 with two runs scored, Shane Victorino tallied three RBI, and Raul Ibanez hit a grand slam as the Phillies cruised past a Cardinals club that has been trying to fight its way into the Wild Card mix. The Cardinals still face an uphill battle. For the Phillies, it’s time to celebrate.

The division title is the 11th in franchise history, and this 2011 team is up to 98 wins with 12 games to play.

If the season were to end tonight, Philadelphia would be facing an NLDS matchup with the Diamondbacks.

1. firedude7160 - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:18 PM

In the wonderful words of Hunter Pence- “Let’s pop bottles!”

• Utley's Hair - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM

That exchange was quite awkward, wasn’t it?

Wheels: What time is it?
      Pence: I don’t know.
      Wheels: Time to go eat?
      Pence: Let’s pop some bottles.

• firedude7160 - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Yeah, that was rather awkward. But Pence may have another catch phrase/shirt slogan on his hands

• hittfamily - Sep 18, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Having skipped over the article, and have only read the previous 3 comments (not to mention a damned comp virus that only lets me type 2 damned letters at a time while having to pause for the computer to unfreeze. Honestly, if I hunt and peck, I have no problems. However, even then, if I hit the spacebar more than once in 2 seconds, my comp goes into full “I am being raped” mode. My 11 year old has wandered into some online neighborhood he has no business being in, and now I definately will be changing all of my passwords and PIN’s…..EFF off Nigerians). That being said, go easy on the kids Cepts, DocArmy, and Utley’s Bald Spot.

In June, Pence was expected to be swinging a 9 iron come October, not swilling Champagne, toasting the season.

Cepts and DocArmy: Desmond jennings hit.170 for us last year. This year his ops is over 1. Hellickson was terrible out of the pen, but is a top 10 AL starter this year. Niemann had a era over 5 for the first half of the season. It sits at 2.5 in the second half. Longo missed the All Star game for the first time in 4 years. Now he has 28 jacks and 93 ribis even though he missed the first month of the season. David Price’s era was over4.5 his rookie year. He started last years All-Star game and was third in Cy Young voting.

My point is, although told through a Rays perspective, scouts are really good, and young kids are unpredctable. Eventually they live up to the hype though.

Speaking of young kids:
        Desmond Jennnings shucked 8 seashells by the seashore.
        Demond Jenningsshucked sellsbythe seasho

ARRRGGGHHH. Im going to kill thelast person to geget on this computer

• macjacmccoy - Sep 18, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Actually Pence said something along the lines of : HaHa Yea Lets Go Eat, Lets Pop some Bottles.

• jetersusedjersey - Sep 18, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Lol maybe bottles meant something diff here!

2. cur68 - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Whew. Little Roy, gettin’ ‘er done. Finally the comment board can get a break from all the tooth gnashing. 2 more games to win and everyone can keep their shirts on; that’ll be a 100.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:33 PM

WHEW!!!!!! It’s been touch and go for a while there, hasn’t it? At least my dentist will be happy now—though more tooth gnashing would convert to more moolah for him.

• cur68 - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I’m glad your dentist can relax now. All I hope is that the nice people of Philly can take a ‘coast to the postseason’ attitude. Not the team, mind you. Just the fans.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 18, 2011 at 12:09 AM

But I might be grinding my teeth and wringing my hands a bit until they win one more for home field throughout.

3. Old Gator - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Horrible Horsemeat and Velveeta™ sandwiches for everyone! I’m buying!

And congratulations to our loyal and vociferous Feelies fans. They’ve typed, uploaded, downloaded, snapped, snarled, sneered, snorted, sniffed and cerebrated as hard on Circling the Bases all season as the team has played on the field. Representing as I do a pretty moribund fan base, I can only say that there are plenty of teams out there who would be proud to have a bunch like this representing them – some of which teams, by the way, we haven’t heard much out of, if anything, all season. These guys deserve their moment of satisfaction. Enjoy, guys.

Now, to the playoffs….

• Utley's Hair - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Thanks Gator. The Feesh played a big part in it. :P

• cur68 - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM

oooo buuuuurrrrrn

• Old Gator - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:59 PM

You’re welcome, Ut.

Tell me all about it….

4. skitchx48 - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Tomorrow’s Lineup: Martinez Orr Mayberry Gload Brown Schnider Valdez Bowker. U mad Cole?

• Utley's Hair - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Watch Cole go out tomorrow and uncork a perfect game—well, with that lineup, maybe a no-no..

• firedude7160 - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Kratz might even get the start at catcher instead of Schnider

• skitchx48 - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM

“Have a good game kid. Oh, and Mr. Hamels will be calling his own game. You just catch whatever he wants to throw.”

• firedude7160 - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:55 PM

hahaha sounds about right

• deepstblu - Sep 18, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Brandon Moss could get in there for Mayberry. Ben Francisco still can’t get a start.

5. crankyfrankie - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Watching Pence and the new guys start the celebration is a tradition that I love to watch. Now time to get ready for the playoffs. Gator thanks for the kind words.

6. jucam1 - Sep 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM

The owners of the NL East just claimed another banner… I cant wait to hoist the WS champions banner…. Hey Chipper remember when u said you weren’t scares of the Phils?.. You and the rest of this League needs to know that the Phils own the NL… See you in the playoffs… I’ll be 7 rows behind 3rd base

7. nocryinginbaseball07 - Sep 18, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Watching Hunter Pence EVERY time the Phils get a win is fun; it’s like watching your kid in Little League. But watching him last night after they clinched was awesome. Mr. Over-rated was a gift in so many ways.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2911)