Phillies recall Domonic Brown from minors

Sep 17, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

The Phillies announced a host of roster moves after Triple-A Lehigh Valley lost to the Columbus Clippers in the Governors’ Cup Finals last night. Among them, Domonic Brown has returned to the major league roster.

Brown is batting .246/.335/.393 with five home runs, 19 RBI, three stolen bases and a .728 OPS over 209 plate appearances with the Phillies this season. The 24-year-old outfielder was sent back to the minors in late-July following the acquisition of Hunter Pence. He batted just .227 with one home run over 97 at-bats with the IronPigs down the stretch and went 1-for-16 (.063) as the DH during the playoffs.

Despite the underwhelming results, Brown could still contend for a spot on the playoff roster depending upon whether the Phillies decide to go with 10 or 11 pitchers. Pete Orr and John Bowker are also likely on the bubble.

1. halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Brown has done nothing to deserve a postseason roster spot. They should not reward his mediocrity. John Bowker has also shown nothing. Everytime I see him come up to the plate, he strikes out. Pete Orr would be more valuable because he can play multiple infield positions and at least is a contact hitter.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I thought that he was going to be a star. That was why he was not included in the Halladay trade.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM

That bum Michael Martinez should not be on the postseason roster either.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

The far more interesting call-up was Joe Savery. Former first round draft pick and starting pitcher. After being mixed results, he was switched to first base and DH at High A ball this year. Hit .450 the first month. Moved up to AA Reading where he spot pitched and DH’d. Moved to AAA as a left hander out of the bullpen and posted a 1.90 ERA. In tears when he heard he was coming to Philadelphia.

3. halladayslabia - Sep 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Hello Friends!!! Wonderful news for a wonderful man. Congratulations Dom Brown. As they say, infinite patience produces immediate results. Dreams do come true. Without that possibility, nature would not have given us Dom Brown. My only wish, is that they would expand the rosters even further, so hundreds of additional stand up young men could fulfill their dreams. They say the first time a bat was splintered, those splinters became the first fairies. One could only hope.

Sincerely,
    Evil Cartman

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM

These posts are bizarre. They are mildly amusing but somewhat disturbing. Go Temple!!!

• halladayslabia - Sep 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM

In the Southpark universe, when the kids’ evil twins from another dimension showed up, they were all evil. Except Eric Cartman’s. His evil twin, was actually incredibly nice, because Eric Cartman was such a dick. So when halladaysbiceps says something nasty, his evil twin, halladayslabia, shows up to say something nice.

All who would win joy, must share it; happiness was born a twin.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Umm ok. Still kind of odd but whatever. However, you state that you will show up and say nice, albeit bizarre, things when HB says nasty stuff….what did HB say nasty in this thread?

• halladayslabia - Sep 17, 2011 at 1:22 PM

This is just catching up for yesterdays madness he posted and was deleted by a mod. I will pop in from time to time to offer a little joy between my regular postings, albeit with my normal name.

• halladayslabia - Sep 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM

You must be the change you wish to see in the world

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM

So, are you going to share what your regular screen name or is it left to the imagination?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Doctor,

I know who this clown is now that is trying to instigate stuff. Had to look at his commenting style a little further. This is the punk known as trevor-something. 100% certain.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Oh, Trevorbob?? If so that is a hell of job of investigating the situation.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM

It required no investigation on my part because he is as transparent as his commenting style. He’s another comment cop that chastises me on how my comments are nasty yet is another hypocrite and logs on off my handle with the suffix “labia”. Now, you tell me who’s nasty?

4. thekingdave - Sep 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM

But, but, but I thought he was untouchable in the Pence deal because it was 100% fact that he’d be better than Pence in two seasons?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I still think Brown will be an excellent player.

5. jelatin18 - Sep 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Phils also “called up” Ryno

6. dbick - Sep 17, 2011 at 2:17 PM

You guys are ridiculous, I can only hope that you are trolling. You guys do realize the immortal Chase Utley only hit .239 his rookie year right? Thank God they didn’t react like you morons do or Utley would be on some other team wreaking offensive havoc. Contrary to what you think not every good player lights up the league immediately upon entering it. Brown still can, and probably will, be a very good player at the mlb level. I’ll take him on the post season roster, he’s at the very least better than Bowker and is also probably better than Ibanez.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I agree with you for the most part. I am still high on Dom Brown and think he will be an excellent player. Needs to be better in the field obviously and gain some confidence though.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Brown tanked it after being sent down to AAA. What are you smoking, idiot? Listen here. He needs more seasoning in the minors before he is ready to play in the big leagues. His fielding is atrocious and he has no discipline at the plate. The Phillies as currently constituted are a world championship caliber ballclub. They don’t have the luxury of Brown maturing at the MLB level. He doesn’t go on my postseaon roster for the fact that he not good enough at this level and sulked when he was sent down. That’s the bottom line.

I also think that the kid needs to play winter ball to get better. If I were Amaro I would demand it. He’s not ready to play in MLB right now.

You bring up Chase Utley. Do you realise that the Phillies were still an up and coming club and therefore had more time and patience to wait on Utley reaching his potential? This is a very much different ballclub than that one.

• dbick - Sep 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM

They actually do have the luxury of letting him mature at the major league level? Have you checked out future HOF’er Raul Ibanez numbers this year? You’re telling me Brown can’t, at the minimum, match that terrible production? What are you smoking?

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM

dbick,

They have Mayberry Jr. to fill that role this year. Why do you need Brown?

I will take Ibanez right now over Brown simply because (1) he’s not going to make a stupid fielding mistake in LF like Brown would, even though he can’t cover the position range-wise like he used too and (2) Ibanez is at least capable of getting hot and hitting a bomb or being the deciding factor in a game. He has the experience that Brown is lacking.

Domonic Brown needs more maturing before he is ready for this level. I have seen this time and again over the many years I have been watching baseball. Could he be a good/great player? Maybe. Could he turn out to be a bust? Maybe. We just don’t know yet. The kid needs to screw his head on right, and he needs to do that in the minors.

• mikedi33 - Sep 17, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Amaro even said Brown was not ready, it was Manuel pushing for him to be brought up because Francisco was such a bust. Way too early to give up on him. Does not really deserve post season roster but he has more speed than Bowker and more pop than Orr so one has to consider him.

7. leftywildcat - Sep 17, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Brown should have been receiving the very same hitting guidance that Mayberry received on his last trip back down to AAA. (Then, next year, Brown could play left field, and someone gets traded for a 3rd baseman?)

Savery is the most interesting call-up, but I think you have to have been on the MLB roster sometime before Sept 1 in order to be eligible for the post-season roster.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I agree. Savery is the most intriguing of the callups because he rejuvinated his career. I am anxious to see what he can do at this level. And he can hit too, which is a plus.

As far as being eligible for the postseason roster, there is an easy work around/loophole to deal with that problem. Anyone on the 40 man roster who is placed on it after Sept. 1st can be put on the post season roster if they DL someone (even if they fake injury). Happens all the time. Jose Contreras, who is really hurt (60 day DL) can be replaced with a Savery, etc.

8. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Lineup for tonight:
    Rollins, Victorino, Utley, Howard, Pence, Ibanez, Polanco, Ruiz, Oswalt.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM

No surprises. This will be their regular postseason lineup. Agreed?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Yes. I think that Mayberry Jr. will start against lefties though.

9. halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM

It’s 6:20PM. Another Phillies game soon. I will be sticking around and checking in from time to time during the game. Anyone interested in chiming in during the game?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM

sure.

10. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Oswalt has some zip on the fastball tonight. Needs to get crisper with the change and curve though.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Yes. Agreed. It’s cooler down there tonight. Let’s see how his back holds up.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I just caught that it’s 1-0 Phillies . I was on the phone. What happened?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Rollins single..moved up to second on a Victorino ground out. Utley line out. Walked Howard on 4 pitches, clearly afraid of him. Pence soft double to left. 1-0. Ibanez grounds sharply out with runners on second and third.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Thanks Doctor. I was on the phone with the girlfriend deciding what takeout we are doing tonight. She is out and will pick up. Decided on Wings and cheese steaks.

Polanco a lead off single. Good. Crap. Spoken too soon. Double play.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Not a bad option. Not a wing fan myself though.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Doctor,

We also went with a thin crust pizza. Are you a fan of that?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I do like thin crust pizza. That might not be a bad idea. Might order some of that.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Get on the phone, Good Doctor. Thin crust pizza is what you (the Doctor) ordered!!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Already did.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Good man. Enjoy your pizza. My girlfriend should be back in a few minutes after CVS with the food. Always a good Saturday night with takeout food and baseball.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I will. Pie in the Sky is the best.

11. halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Ok. The Phillies are coming back to bat. Enough of this disgrace of an offense. Oswalt needs some bust out run support. I’m sick of it. Score.

12. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Need a big hit here. Loosen up the offense and such.

13. halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM

5 K’s in the first 4 innings for Oswalt. For the love of all that is good, hit for him!!!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 8:11 PM

It hasn’t resulted in any tangible results, but the at bats are much better tonight for the Phillies.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Patience at the plate. That’s all I ask.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3457)