Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Sep 17, 2011, 8:46 AM EST

Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Josh Beckett reacts after striking out Tampa Bay Rays John Jaso to end the top of sixth inning of their MLB American League baseball game at Fenway Park in Boston

Red Sox fans can breathe a little bit easier this morning.

Josh Beckett was solid in his return from a sprained ankle last night, allowing three runs (two earned) over six innings as the Red Sox defeated the Rays 4-3 to extend their lead in the AL Wild Card race to four games with 12 games remaining.

Beckett, who hadn’t pitched since September 5, threw the first quality start by a Red Sox pitcher since September 6. Mike Aviles, who played third base in place of the injured Kevin Youkilis, hit the decisive go-ahead solo homer off James Shields in the bottom of the fourth inning. The Rays stole a season-high seven bases in the loss.

The two teams will continue their four-game series later this afternoon when Jon Lester takes on Jeff Niemann.

Your Friday box scores:

Rays 3, Red Sox 4

Cardinals 4, Phillies 2 (11 innings)

Mets 12, Braves 2

Angels 3, Orioles 8

Astros 3, Cubs 4 (12 innings)

Marlins 3, Nationals 0

Yankees 4, Blue Jays 5

Brewers 6, Reds 3

White Sox 6, Royals 7

Indians 7, Twins 6

Tigers 3, Athletics 1

Giants 9, Rockies 1

Diamondbacks 0, Padres 2

Rangers 0, Mariners 4

Pirates 2, Dodgers 7

1. yankeesfanlen - Sep 17, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Looks like AJ did the Yanks in again, without throwing a pitch.. This six-man rotation only gets CC off his feed, so to speak, and gets him wild for the first few innings.Soriano was actually the only good pitcher for us last night.
    Now if Swish and Chavez (today ARod?) can convince someone else to hit…….

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Guess we’ll see no Feelies guys around today, maybe Gator will show up with tales of glory, and I’m sure cur and proudly will want to gloat now, while they have the chance.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Gloat! Gloat!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I am here. Win or lose, I always show up…given that work is slow. It was a tough but not unexpected loss for the Phillies last night. Though I never like to see the offensive slump, better they struggle now then in 2 weeks. Also, it is hard to get worked up about the games when they are essentially meaningless from a Phillies perspective.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I’m here too. I vented my frustration last night with the Phillies anemic offense. There’s really nothing else I can say other than they are not hitting. Their top 4 hitters were 0-18 last night. Pretty bad.

• JBerardi - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM

But Ryan Howard must have had some RBIs in there somewhere, right? I’m mean he’s so good at generating them, regardless of what’s going on around him…

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Oh look…somebody acting like an ass in attempt to wind up Phillies fans. Shocking development for this blog.

• halladayslabia - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I’m here too. Hello Everyone, and I hope you are having a wonderful saturday. The air is cool, but our hearts are full of warmth. All great games yesterday. Too bad half the teams had to lose, but they are all winners in my book. Too bad they cant have ties in baseball, because no one deserved to not win. Congratulations to all major league ballplayers for trying!!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM

What the hell was that? I can’t say it wasn’t mildly amusing, but certainly bizarre.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM

It’s not the first comment either, HL was around last night too. Gload had a terrible at bat, I would have rather tried Bowker there. In any case, Phillies are getting reinforcements, Brandon Moss, DeFratus, Brown, etc. are supposed to be reporting to the Phillies now that the Iron Pigs have been eliminated.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM

FC,
        Joe Savery too, in what is a tremendous story. It was said that he was in tears last night upon learning of the call-up.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I would not have recalled Brown. I would have sent him home for the year. He sulked when he was sent down to AAA after the Pence trade and stunk up the joint. Amaro, I believe, was in favor of not bringing him back. I think Charlie wanted Brown back, maybe to see if he can turn him around.

Savery and DeFratus can certainly help the bullpen. I’m anxious to see what they can do with the 12 or so remaining games.

• cur68 - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Now, now Len. I don’t gloat. I’m just quietly smug. And I smirk a lot.

Don’t hate us Universe fans. We are just the messengers. And the message is; Jose Molina can hit just a little can’t he? The Beaver Boys did exactly what I’d hoped they’d do against CC: patience at the plate, deep into pitch counts and lots of balls in play. The kids were good; Lawrie was intentionally walked for the first time in his career, a nod by the Yankees to how good the kid is. Giving back that infield dirt he nicked when he was 10 sure made the Base Ball Gods happy with him.

But lets get real here. The Yankees have been on the road for over a week now. The looked tired. Just flat and tired. Today will be different; Girardi will have lit a fire under them and losing to, well anyone, won’t sit well with the mantle of leadership on the shoulders of a certain Captain.

The Dugong, fresh from his milk bath, will face another of the Beaver Hunter’s Kids, Alverez (barring kitchen mishaps). All I hope for is that it’s close. And that Mark gets back on here and says unkind things about Mike McCoy: worked last time and as we all know, you don’t mess with what works.

2. proudlycanadian - Sep 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I guess that the time off helped Beckett. The Rays have to get back on script today and tomorrow or it is all over for them.
    The Yankees look tired and worn out. They only got 5 hits against the Jays. The final score should have been much more in Toronto’s favor. Not a quality start for Sabathia. He was fortunate that he only gave up 4 runs. The Yankees were afraid to pitch to Bautista. They kept walking him. Their strategy almost worked as they were able to get the next hitter (Encarnacion) out. Fortunately for the Jays, Lind got a couple of key hits including a 2 out bases loaded double.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I’m surprised you didn’t hang yourself since the Sox actually won a game.

• hittfamily - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Dumb comments before noon. The beer must be flowing for a 1 o’clock game. Must be a gators fan.

• hittfamily - Sep 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM

The Rays are taking it down to the wire huh Proudly. They need both today and tomorrow to stand a chance. I thought they would pull it out, but the offense left the bats in the on deck circle after the 6th inning. Damon managed to get hit by a pitch, and still strike out.

I predicted fireworks, and there was some fireworks. Not the kind I expected, as I had predicted a brawl. Maddon got tossed after both Kotchmann and Jaso got raped on on backwards k’s a foot off the plate. Both occurences ended innings with risp on ball 4. They beat themselves, but they needed a chance. Jennings is a hell of a difference maker, swiping a bag and scoring 2 times on 3 hits. Longo has 6 r’sbi in 2 games. He also made an incredible diving double play, and if you haven’t seen it, see it. It wasn’t enough though, and yesterdays better team won.

I hope steamin Niemann keeps the ball down this afternoon, because he starts slow, and the Sox didn’t last night. Times running out .Go RAYS!!!!!

3. Old Gator - Sep 17, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Tales of glory are hard to come by when you go 4-for-14 with RISP. Fortunately for the Feesh, they were playing the Gnats in the hot air capital of the universe where the Iron Giant always seems to perk up as though he’d just eaten some scrap iron. Something all Feesh fans, and shock-and-awe lovers, will appreciate is the number of walks the Giant is taking these days and all the solid line drives and groundball hits he’s been producing of late, looking like he’s maturing into a real hitter as opposed to a one-dimensional masher. Tweeter and Coghlan – and even the Hanster – may flame out but this guy looks like the real deal, doesn’t he?

The other plus: Javy Vasquez looks like he’s determined to go out in a blaze of glory. After a horrible first half, and despite playing for an anemic offense, he evened his record, pitched his 28th complete game and eighth complete game shutout last night. Yes, it was the Gnats, but he’s been superb, with a 2.03 ERA (!) for the second half, and the 8-5 record that goes with that tells you how little support he (as well as all of his fellow starters) have been getting from this squad of offensive somnambulists. He still says he plans to retire at the end of this season. Let’s just hope Scrooge McLoria isn’t planning to design an amulet for him as an enticement to stay on another lame duck year.

Incidentally, I am working on my magum opus for the offseason. I don’t want to give away too much about it but it will appear here after the World Series – and will probably get me banned from Macondo Banana Massacre Field before it even opens. Fortunately, I am a master of aliases and disguises.

4. goawaydog - Sep 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Giants on a 6 game roll looking like they are having fun again. Winning will do that for ya. 5 games back in the WC, 6 inthe division! Watch your backs here we come! Maybe, probably not, but then again, why not?
    Cody Ross hits home run number 100, nice round number.
    Zito in the 9th? Did i see that? Is that Palin on a pig flying by my window again?

• hittfamily - Sep 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Was she riding Glenn Rice?

• Old Gator - Sep 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Yes, that was one of her positions….

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4759)