Sep 17, 2011, 10:10 AM EST
According to Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com, the Twins have shut down Tsuyoshi Nishioka for the rest of the season due to an oblique injury.
Nishioka hasn’t played since September 9, but the injury has lingered for a few weeks now.
“The last time he tried to play, he was hurting pretty bad,” Gardenhire said. “I said I’m not going to send him back out there like this, and the trainers started talking about it. They wanted to see how he did for a couple days, but he’s not going to play anymore. We’ve told Nishi just to relax.”
Nishioka, who signed a three-year, $9.25 million contract with the Twins last December, batted just .226/.278/.249 with a .527 OPS over 240 plate appearances in his first season stateside while rating below-average defensively. His rookie year appeared doomed from the start, after he fractured his left fibula on a takeout slide by Nick Swisher in early-April.
The Twins still owe Nishioka $3 million next season, $3 million in 2013 and either a $4 million club option or $250,000 buyout for 2014.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)