Sep 18, 2011, 5:36 PM EST
It’s a shame, but Carlos Guillen doesn’t appear likely to contribute to the Tigers’ postseason run this year.
On what appeared to be a perfectly innocent play, Guillen suffered a right calf strain and left Sunday’s game against the A’s. It unfolded as Jemile Weeks hit a slow grounder back to pitcher Justin Verlander. Guillen took a few steps in, just in case the ball got by Verlander, and quickly came up lame. After being looked at by the trainer, he was able to gingerly walk off the field without assistance.
Guillen, who underwent microfracture surgery on his left knee last year, has been limited to 95 at-bats this season. He was making just his third start today since coming off the DL on Sept. 1. In the previous one, he went 3-for-5 with a homer against the White Sox on Wednesday. Still, he’s hitting only .232/.265/.368 overall.
Because of his struggles, Guillen was no sure bet to make the Tigers’ postseason roster anyway. Now it appears doubtful he’ll be included. The Tigers will likely have Ryan Raburn and Ramon Santiago split time at second base next month.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)