Sep 18, 2011, 5:36 PM EST
It’s a shame, but Carlos Guillen doesn’t appear likely to contribute to the Tigers’ postseason run this year.
On what appeared to be a perfectly innocent play, Guillen suffered a right calf strain and left Sunday’s game against the A’s. It unfolded as Jemile Weeks hit a slow grounder back to pitcher Justin Verlander. Guillen took a few steps in, just in case the ball got by Verlander, and quickly came up lame. After being looked at by the trainer, he was able to gingerly walk off the field without assistance.
Guillen, who underwent microfracture surgery on his left knee last year, has been limited to 95 at-bats this season. He was making just his third start today since coming off the DL on Sept. 1. In the previous one, he went 3-for-5 with a homer against the White Sox on Wednesday. Still, he’s hitting only .232/.265/.368 overall.
Because of his struggles, Guillen was no sure bet to make the Tigers’ postseason roster anyway. Now it appears doubtful he’ll be included. The Tigers will likely have Ryan Raburn and Ramon Santiago split time at second base next month.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 10
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (127)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)