Sep 18, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
Shocking news out of Seattle. OK, not really.
Figgins suffered a right hip flexor strain back in late July and was placed on the 15-day disabled list at the beginning of August. He should fully recover this winter, but the 33-year-old won’t return to the playing field until the start of spring training next February.
Figgins batted just .188/.241/.243 with one home run, 11 steals and 15 RBI in 313 plate appearances this season for the last-place Mariners. He’s under contract at $9 million in 2012 and $8 million in 2013.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (111)