Sep 18, 2011, 6:23 PM EST
It still looks like the Yankees are going to finish with the American League’s best record, but not everything is fine and dandy in New York. Freddy Garcia just turned in his third straight poor start Sunday, giving up three runs in 4 2/3 innings in a loss to the Blue Jays. Adam Lind homered off him twice.
Here’s the starting pitcher ERAs for the Yankees over the last 30 days:
Each pitcher there except Garcia has had exactly five starts. Garcia has had three since coming off the disabled list.
It’s safe to say Sabathia, Colon and Nova are in. Garcia still has the second best overall ERA of the group, a 3.77 mark that’s slightly better than the 3.81 marks shared by Nova and Colon. Still, Garcia was always going to be a hard guy to trust in the postseason and now it seems likely that the Yankees will instead choose to take their chances one of the harder throwers. Whether that’s Hughes or Burnett will probably depend on how each fares from here.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)