Sep 18, 2011, 1:07 PM EST
The announcement was made around 90 minutes before first pitch. Matt Maloney, who has a rough 6.88 ERA and 1.82 WHIP in 17 innings this season, will take the mound for the Reds instead.
Willis should be ready to return to action at some point early next week. The 29-year-old left-hander has registered an 0-6 record, 5.04 ERA, 1.58 WHIP and 51/35 K/BB ratio in 12 starts since joining up with third-place Cincinnati.
- Hunter Pence hit in hand by pitch, headed for X-rays 0
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 6
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 135
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 43
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 371
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (371)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (135)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (88)