Sep 18, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Wilson has been sidelined since the middle of August due to inflammation in his throwing elbow. The Giants were considering shutting him down at one point earlier this month, but Wilson continued to make steady progress and is back near 100 percent health with 12 days left in the 2011 regular season.
Wilson has registered a decent 3.19 ERA and 52/31 K/BB ratio through 53 2/3 innings this year while converting 35 of 40 save opportunities. The 29-year-old right-hander is likely to be used in low-pressure situations initially but should recapture his ninth-inning role by the end of this month.
San Francisco is still five games back of the Diamondbacks in the National League West standings and five games behind the Braves in the National League Wild Card mix despite a seven-game winning streak.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)