Sep 18, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Wilson has been sidelined since the middle of August due to inflammation in his throwing elbow. The Giants were considering shutting him down at one point earlier this month, but Wilson continued to make steady progress and is back near 100 percent health with 12 days left in the 2011 regular season.
Wilson has registered a decent 3.19 ERA and 52/31 K/BB ratio through 53 2/3 innings this year while converting 35 of 40 save opportunities. The 29-year-old right-hander is likely to be used in low-pressure situations initially but should recapture his ninth-inning role by the end of this month.
San Francisco is still five games back of the Diamondbacks in the National League West standings and five games behind the Braves in the National League Wild Card mix despite a seven-game winning streak.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)