Sep 18, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Wilson has been sidelined since the middle of August due to inflammation in his throwing elbow. The Giants were considering shutting him down at one point earlier this month, but Wilson continued to make steady progress and is back near 100 percent health with 12 days left in the 2011 regular season.
Wilson has registered a decent 3.19 ERA and 52/31 K/BB ratio through 53 2/3 innings this year while converting 35 of 40 save opportunities. The 29-year-old right-hander is likely to be used in low-pressure situations initially but should recapture his ninth-inning role by the end of this month.
San Francisco is still five games back of the Diamondbacks in the National League West standings and five games behind the Braves in the National League Wild Card mix despite a seven-game winning streak.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)