Sep 18, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Wilson has been sidelined since the middle of August due to inflammation in his throwing elbow. The Giants were considering shutting him down at one point earlier this month, but Wilson continued to make steady progress and is back near 100 percent health with 12 days left in the 2011 regular season.
Wilson has registered a decent 3.19 ERA and 52/31 K/BB ratio through 53 2/3 innings this year while converting 35 of 40 save opportunities. The 29-year-old right-hander is likely to be used in low-pressure situations initially but should recapture his ninth-inning role by the end of this month.
San Francisco is still five games back of the Diamondbacks in the National League West standings and five games behind the Braves in the National League Wild Card mix despite a seven-game winning streak.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)