Sep 18, 2011, 10:03 AM EST
Hughes’ back locked up on him Friday after he threw a routine bullpen session in Toronto. He rested all day Saturday and will try to play catch before Sunday’s series finale with the Blue Jays. If that workout goes well, the 25-year-old should be cleared to take the mound Tuesday for the opening of a big four-game series against the surging Rays.
A.J. Burnett will start Monday’s makeup game with Minnesota in Hughes’ place.
Hughes has registered a 6.00 ERA, 1.49 WHIP and 45/24 K/BB ratio through 72 innings this season.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)