Sep 18, 2011, 10:03 AM EST
Hughes’ back locked up on him Friday after he threw a routine bullpen session in Toronto. He rested all day Saturday and will try to play catch before Sunday’s series finale with the Blue Jays. If that workout goes well, the 25-year-old should be cleared to take the mound Tuesday for the opening of a big four-game series against the surging Rays.
A.J. Burnett will start Monday’s makeup game with Minnesota in Hughes’ place.
Hughes has registered a 6.00 ERA, 1.49 WHIP and 45/24 K/BB ratio through 72 innings this season.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)