Sep 18, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
Hughes’ back locked up on him Friday after he threw a routine bullpen session in Toronto. He rested all day Saturday and will try to play catch before Sunday’s series finale with the Blue Jays. If that workout goes well, the 25-year-old should be cleared to take the mound Tuesday for the opening of a big four-game series against the surging Rays.
A.J. Burnett will start Monday’s makeup game with Minnesota in Hughes’ place.
Hughes has registered a 6.00 ERA, 1.49 WHIP and 45/24 K/BB ratio through 72 innings this season.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)