Sep 18, 2011, 5:48 PM EDT
The Rays, who were nine games back on Sept. 3, beat the Red Sox for the sixth time in seven games this month.
Aiming for win No. 201, Tim Wakefield gave up three runs in the second and another in the fourth, putting Boston in a big hole. Still, there was hope for the Red Sox. After taking a Mike Aviles liner off his chest in the third, Price struggled in the fourth, giving up two runs, and then left as a precaution.
Unfortunately for Boston, the pitching staff wasn’t able to hold the Rays offense in check afterwards. Wakefield allowed two more runs in the fifth and Andrew Miller gave up two in the seventh. The Red Sox came back with three of their own in the seventh, making it 8-5, but that was the end of the scoring for the day.
In the end, the Red Sox lost despite outhitting the Rays 8-7 and collecting the game’s only homer, a three-run shot from Mike Aviles. Aviles and Darnell McDonald actually drove in all of Boston’s runs, as the big bats came up empty.
Both the Red Sox and Rays have 10 games left. Seven of Boston’s are against the Orioles, with a three-game series in Yankee Stadium sandwiched in between. The Rays will play the Yankees seven times, with their weekend series coming against the Blue Jays.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (117)