Sep 19, 2011, 8:52 AM EDT
I’m assuming that when Carl Crawford agreed to do a season-long diary for ESPN.com that he figured he’d, you know, not totally suck all year. I’m also guessing that ESPN’s agreement with him is not so lucrative or so iron-clad that he couldn’t have just quit doing it when the season turned hellish for him, but he has kept it up all the same. Good for him!
But at the same time, it’s probably gotten pretty hard for him to put any sort of positive spin on this nightmare. That comes out a bit in his latest entry, which runs a bit more philosophical than we’ve come to expect from this sort of thing:
I want to end the diary saying something to the fans of Boston. I just want to say I’m sorry for the year I’ve had. You guys have been really supportive and I appreciate that. Hopefully when we get into these playoffs, I can be the real Carl Crawford that I know I am. We’ll see.
It’s the “we’ll see” that gets me. If he talked all bold about how he’s going to turn it around and kick some butt going forward, no one would ever remember it or hold it against him if he didn’t (it’s just a web diary hardly anyone is reading, after all). But he still hedged it. Yeah, I’m trafficking in b.s. armchair psychology here, but this reads like a guy who has zilch confidence in himself.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 33
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)