Sep 19, 2011, 8:52 AM EDT
I’m assuming that when Carl Crawford agreed to do a season-long diary for ESPN.com that he figured he’d, you know, not totally suck all year. I’m also guessing that ESPN’s agreement with him is not so lucrative or so iron-clad that he couldn’t have just quit doing it when the season turned hellish for him, but he has kept it up all the same. Good for him!
But at the same time, it’s probably gotten pretty hard for him to put any sort of positive spin on this nightmare. That comes out a bit in his latest entry, which runs a bit more philosophical than we’ve come to expect from this sort of thing:
I want to end the diary saying something to the fans of Boston. I just want to say I’m sorry for the year I’ve had. You guys have been really supportive and I appreciate that. Hopefully when we get into these playoffs, I can be the real Carl Crawford that I know I am. We’ll see.
It’s the “we’ll see” that gets me. If he talked all bold about how he’s going to turn it around and kick some butt going forward, no one would ever remember it or hold it against him if he didn’t (it’s just a web diary hardly anyone is reading, after all). But he still hedged it. Yeah, I’m trafficking in b.s. armchair psychology here, but this reads like a guy who has zilch confidence in himself.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)