Carl Crawford: “I’m sorry for the year I had”

Sep 19, 2011, 8:52 AM EDT

Carl Crawford, Mike Napoli

I’m assuming that when Carl Crawford agreed to do a season-long diary for ESPN.com that he figured he’d, you know, not totally suck all year.  I’m also guessing that ESPN’s agreement with him is not so lucrative or so iron-clad that he couldn’t have just quit doing it when the season turned hellish for him, but he has kept it up all the same.  Good for him!

But at the same time, it’s probably gotten pretty hard for him to put any sort of positive spin on this nightmare. That comes out a bit in his latest entry, which runs a bit more philosophical than we’ve come to expect from this sort of thing:

I want to end the diary saying something to the fans of Boston. I just want to say I’m sorry for the year I’ve had. You guys have been really supportive and I appreciate that. Hopefully when we get into these playoffs, I can be the real Carl Crawford that I know I am. We’ll see.

It’s the “we’ll see” that gets me. If he talked all bold about how he’s going to turn it around and kick some butt going forward, no one would ever remember it or hold it against him if he didn’t (it’s just a web diary hardly anyone is reading, after all).  But he still hedged it. Yeah, I’m trafficking in b.s. armchair psychology here, but this reads like a guy who has zilch confidence in himself.

1. craggt - Sep 19, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I don’t think anyone on the Red Sox has any confidence right now. They’re certainly not playing like it.

2. Jack Marshall - Sep 19, 2011 at 9:14 AM

He shouldn’t have any confidence. He’s been terrible in every respect. It is amazing how he has avoided being raked over the coals in Boston: J.D. Drew was murdered every second of his first season in Boston, and he was much better than Crawford. He doesn’t get on base; he doesn’t drive in runs; he hasn’t stolen many bases; he hasn’t learned to play the wall. If Crawford has an average season by his standards, the Red Sox are a play-off lock and neck-and-neck with the Yankees. I feel badly for him; he’s trying. I’m sure he’s as mystified as anyone else. But accepting big money creates a big obligation to earn it. He hasn’t come close. I am pretty sure his is the worst season by a left fielder in Boston in 100 years. Way to go, Carl. Way to go, Theo.

• tampa2dominates - Sep 19, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I can’t recite chapter and verse boston redsox history but when it’s all said and done, carl crawford will be a good investment for boston. This year he was never comfortable in his new role and new surroundings, and he has never been the front line guy even it tampa he was behind evan longoria and could produce quietly.
      But that talent, and most importantly his work ethic which is very good will lead to success for Carl, much to the chagrin of Rays fans.

• dlevalley - Sep 19, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I think Jack’s point was contrasting the way Boston fans have treated Crawford with how they treated J.D. Drew. Crawford has had a horrible season.

That doesn’t mean he won’t work out long-term, but the fact that he is signed for 18 more seasons doesn’t make his first any better.

3. thefalcon123 - Sep 19, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Red Sox Primary Left Fielders Who Had Worse A Lower WAR Than Carl Crawford since 1953(as far as baseballreference seperates the outfielders on team pages)

2011 Carl Crawford: 0 WAR, 86 OPS+
    2001: Troy O’Leary: -0.8 WAR, 89 OPS+
    2000: Troy O’Leary: -0.7 WAR, 81 OPS+
    1996: Mike Greenwell: -0.1 WAR, 94 OPS+
    1992: Billy Hatcher: -2.1 WAR, 63 OPS+
    1961: Carl Yastrzemski: -0.6 WAR, 91 OPS+

• nolanwiffle - Sep 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM

That Irishman, O’Leary ended up working out okay for the Sox as I recall. The Polish dude was a bum.

4. shawnuel - Sep 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Not sure you can lay this on Theo. There are few people who thought it was a bad signing when it happened. No one expected this type of freefall from Crawford.

5. amhendrick - Sep 19, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Looking at his BBRef page, it’s not that different than his 2008 season. 2010 looks like as much of an outlier as this year.

• spindervish - Sep 19, 2011 at 11:16 AM

No…no it does not.

• amhendrick - Sep 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM

His career OPS+ is 105. 2010 was 135. This year, 86.

• spindervish - Sep 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Weak. His first two years he was a pretty terrible hitter. You like OPS+? Cool:

06: 113
        07: 117
        08: 89
        09: 116
        10: 135
        11: 86

The power spike in 2010 was long predicted from him, and other than that his performance was well in line with his other good seasons. This year his K rate and BB rate have cratered, and he’s not even stealing bases. Even if you don’t buy last year’s modest power surge, it hardly seems accurate to compare the degree to which he “overperformed” last year to how utterly disappointing he’s been this year.

6. kgfugitive - Sep 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM

At least CC admits he had a poor year and apologized for it. Vernon Wells expects the fans to just accept his suckage.

• professor59 - Sep 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM

…sucking all the way to the bank.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 19, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Carl shouldnt be sorry, i hope the next 6 years on his dea are exactly like year 1. Carl congrats on a excellent season i mean that man!!!

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3084)