Sep 19, 2011, 3:36 PM EST
Question: would Prince Fielder really want to go to most of these teams? The O’s, Cubs, Mariners and Marlins are in the competitive wilderness right now. The Dodgers are broke. The Cardinals would be intriguing, but they happen to have a first base free agent they’d likely prefer to keep. The Nationals are likewise intriguing in that they’re probably closer to competitiveness than the other losing teams, but they’re not exactly poised to win now. Not yet.
The Rangers are the most interesting name in that they’re a winning team and one who has signed big names before, but I don’t know that we have anything close to a clear idea if they’ll be a big player in free agency. A new TV deal in place could mean that they’ll spend more, but not necessarily.
I guess what I’m seeing here is that, with the Yankees and Red Sox likely not a big player for a first baseman, the market is as murky as hell. Assuming that like most free agents, Prince Fielder wants to play for a winner, there’s no clear-cut destination. Some teams may win, some teams may pay, but it’s hard to identify anyone who would do both.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)