Sep 19, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
It was a useful weekend for me. With Ohio State losing in spectacular awful style, my Saturdays are now officially freed up for the remainder of the fall! In other news:
- Big Papi says Manny is “a good dude.” Whatever. I liked both of them much better when they did this kind of thing.
- The Tigers clinched. Let’s give Jim Leyland a lot of credit for helming a team that did not crater in the second half.
- What a lost first season in the majors for Tsuyoshi Nishioka.
- Can’t wait for someone to overpay for Javier Vazquez next year. It’s gonna be awesome.
- Brian Wilson bought two pairs of those “Back to the Furture” shoes. They’re actually “Back to the Future II” shoes. Which was about as funny as a screen door on a battleship. Wait, that’s “screen door on a submarine,” you dork.
- Mariano Rivera ties Trevor Hoffman for the all-time saves record. Gosh, I hope he passes Hoffman so we can officially say that he was the better closer.
- Phillies clinched the division. Glad they finally did it. The suspense was killing me.
- Carlos Santana is damn nigh supernatural.
- Call off the 2012 NL East race: the Mets have signed Tim Byrdak to an extension.
Nearly every other story of note this weekend was about an injury, and those are way too boring to bother recapping. Here’s hoping for something a bit more life-affirming this week.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 18
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (101)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)