Kerry Wood to undergo knee surgery, says he’ll retire if Cubs don’t re-sign him

Sep 19, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT

kerry-wood-cubs Getty Images

Kerry Wood has been shut down for the remainder of the season with a torn meniscus in his left knee, which he’ll have surgery to fix next week.

Wood will have plenty of time to get healthy by spring training, but told Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago that he’ll retire if the Cubs don’t want to bring him back in 2012.

Wood took significantly less money to sign with the Cubs this offseason, choosing a one-year, $1.5 million over much bigger offers from several teams, including the crosstown White Sox.

Presumably the Cubs would love to have him back for similar money next year after he threw 51 innings with a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio setting up Carlos Marmol.

1. silverdeer - Sep 19, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I love how some of these athletes are of the attitude that if I don’t come back and play for this certain team, I am goinwg to take my ball and go home. As for the torn meniscus it shouldnt take more than a couple of months to be back to full steam. I had mine done this summer and I was back on the golf course in less than a month.

• bravesman1983 - Sep 19, 2011 at 7:58 PM

This comment is ridiculous, and I’m guessing it originated from a clueless person.

This is not a “take my ball and go home” type of thing. This is a guy whose family situation makes it much easier for him to be in Chicago, and also a guy who is loyal to the organization that first brought him up to the bigs. That’s why he turned down much more lucrative opportunities elsewhere during the previous offseason.

Since you probably have no idea what I’m talking about when I say “family situation,” here’s a link you should probably read before you criticize Kerry Wood: http://bit.ly/o54wAy

• bravesman1983 - Sep 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Speaking of clueless people . . . how about I shorten the correct link this time: http://bit.ly/rbRG8Q

2. rundmc81 - Sep 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Kerry Wood is a class act.. He lives every minute of being a cub.. He hated his time with the tribe and the evil empire.. He started his career and wants to finish it with the team that equally loves him. Remember last year he came back to the Northside because of a conversation with former gm Jim henry at Ron santo’s funeral. Kerry may not have 20k’s a game anymore but he has the hearts of all cubbie fans. Hope you have a speedy recovery because god knows we will need you next year!!!

3. jwbiii - Sep 19, 2011 at 8:45 PM

So Kerry Wood is a bad guy for saying that he wants to live with his family (as much as an MLB player does) and live where his family will be the happiest? That he feels loyalty for the team which brought him up?

It might not be smart business, but I can’t fault him for that.

4. shawon0meter - Sep 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I would love to have him back on the Cubs for another year or really as long as he can help the team out. What a great guy to have around!

5. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 19, 2011 at 11:13 PM

guy had his best 1/2 season with the Yanks last year, he never should have went back to the cubs.

6. bullsfan93 - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM

even as a die hard cub fan, these 3 words are nothing new: “Kerry wood injured”

Three legends off to Cooperstown