Mark Reynolds thinks he was beaned on purpose

Sep 19, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Baltimore Orioles Getty Images

Mark Reynolds hit a home run against the Angels on Saturday night. The next time he came to the plate, Ervin Santana hit him in the head, forcing him out of the game and keeping him from playing yesterday.  Reynolds believes it was intentional. Here’s Reynolds:

“I think he hit me on purpose. I don’t think he tried to hit me in the head. I think he hit me on purpose. He threw a first-pitch slider. Why would he throw me a first-pitch slider and then hit me with the next pitch? Why didn’t he just hit me with the first pitch?”

What Reynolds doesn’t say is that he swung at the slider and fouled it off. Because he swings at everything. I didn’t see it so I don’t know where that slider was, but knowing Reynolds it was probably aimed at his head too.

But even if it wasn’t, I don’t know that I follow Reynolds’ logic here. If Santana was out to hit him intentionally, why bother throwing the slider in the first place? Why not just plunk him immediately? If anything, doing it on pitch two makes it seem less intentional, not more. Sort of dilutes the purpose of the purpose pitch.

Anyway, the best part of this is that on Sunday Orioles’ pitcher Alfredo Simon retaliated by hitting Mark Tumbo. And unlike most pitchers who do that, he didn’t claim it got away from him or something. He came right out and said it was a purpose pitch.  Of course when you realize that there’s a non-trivial chance that Simon killed a guy last winter it probably shouldn’t be all that surprising that he’d own up to something like that.

1. mrjavascript - Sep 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I was at the game sat… Reynolds didn’t do any showboating when rounding the bases on his first inning jack. I think santana hit him out of frustration, he wasn’t sharp out of the gate. He was never known as a head hunter…

2. Panda Claus - Sep 19, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Three things working against the Angels here: frustration over losing to the lowly Orioles as they were trying to catch Texas and Boston, Santana has good control and missed his catcher’s mitt by two feet on the “head” pitch and these two clubs have been fiesty with each other going back to last season.

3. randomdigits - Sep 19, 2011 at 10:46 AM

1- Santana also hit Reimold who was the next batter up after Reynolds hit the homerun.

2- “Because he swings at everything” That might be the most uniformed thing you have said on this blog. Yes Reynolds has major issues making contact with pitches but he has 71 walks and he is at 4.24 P/PA which is FIFTH in all of baseball.

To make a comment like that about Reynolds makes me question if you have ever seen the man play.

• randomdigits - Sep 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Sorry that was 5th in AL 8th in MLB. Point still stands, he is a very patient hitter.

• paperlions - Sep 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Pitches per PA isn’t only about patience. If you swing and miss a lot, you are bound to require at least 3 pitches every AB. If you want to argue that Reynolds is patient, you need to look at his rate of swinging at balls out of the zone.

• stinkfist5 - Sep 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM

He just shouldn’t swing at anything other than fastballs.

4. paperlions - Sep 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Reynolds logic may be that the slider was thrown because it would ensure a second pitch (because Reynolds can barely hit a FB, much less something with a wrinkle in it)…and it would be less obvious that it was on purpose if you hit a guy with the second pitch in the AB than with the first one.

5. grumblygus - Sep 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM

So because Reynolds “swings at everything” he couldn’t have been plunked intentionally? Why is it every time there is in article on here about the Orioles being involved in a bean brawl they are in the wrong because they aren’t a good team?

All the trade deadline news to know