Sep 19, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Terry Francona: What’s our record, DeMarlo?
DeMarlo Hale: Eighty-seven and sixty-six.
Terry Francona: Eighty-seven … and sixty-six. How’d we ever win eighty-seven?
DeMarlo Hale: It’s a miracle.
Terry Francona: It’s a miracle.
Yep, the Sox dropped the front end of a double header against the O’s this afternoon. The score as 6-5. All six were given up while Kyle Weiland was on the hill. He gives up runs in bunches, so that’s no surprise. On the bright side, he probably won’t be allowed another start this season, so that part of the Red Sox’ pain is likely over. Jeremy Guthrie was no great shakes himself, but he was able to get the win, which will now foreclose him, it seems, from losing 20, so that’s something good.
Homers from Robert Andino, Nolan Reimold and J.J. Hardy did the damage for the O’s. Darnell McDonald hit his own homer, but had all manner of adventures in the outfield to make up for it, handing the O’s a couple of runs when he lost a ball in the sun early on. Even the cosmos have it in for Boston right now.
Their lead is down to one and a half games leading up to the nightcap this evening. Tampa Bay heads to Yankee Stadium tomorrow.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)