Sep 19, 2011, 4:22 PM EST
Terry Francona: What’s our record, DeMarlo?
DeMarlo Hale: Eighty-seven and sixty-six.
Terry Francona: Eighty-seven … and sixty-six. How’d we ever win eighty-seven?
DeMarlo Hale: It’s a miracle.
Terry Francona: It’s a miracle.
Yep, the Sox dropped the front end of a double header against the O’s this afternoon. The score as 6-5. All six were given up while Kyle Weiland was on the hill. He gives up runs in bunches, so that’s no surprise. On the bright side, he probably won’t be allowed another start this season, so that part of the Red Sox’ pain is likely over. Jeremy Guthrie was no great shakes himself, but he was able to get the win, which will now foreclose him, it seems, from losing 20, so that’s something good.
Homers from Robert Andino, Nolan Reimold and J.J. Hardy did the damage for the O’s. Darnell McDonald hit his own homer, but had all manner of adventures in the outfield to make up for it, handing the O’s a couple of runs when he lost a ball in the sun early on. Even the cosmos have it in for Boston right now.
Their lead is down to one and a half games leading up to the nightcap this evening. Tampa Bay heads to Yankee Stadium tomorrow.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)