Sep 19, 2011, 4:22 PM EST
Terry Francona: What’s our record, DeMarlo?
DeMarlo Hale: Eighty-seven and sixty-six.
Terry Francona: Eighty-seven … and sixty-six. How’d we ever win eighty-seven?
DeMarlo Hale: It’s a miracle.
Terry Francona: It’s a miracle.
Yep, the Sox dropped the front end of a double header against the O’s this afternoon. The score as 6-5. All six were given up while Kyle Weiland was on the hill. He gives up runs in bunches, so that’s no surprise. On the bright side, he probably won’t be allowed another start this season, so that part of the Red Sox’ pain is likely over. Jeremy Guthrie was no great shakes himself, but he was able to get the win, which will now foreclose him, it seems, from losing 20, so that’s something good.
Homers from Robert Andino, Nolan Reimold and J.J. Hardy did the damage for the O’s. Darnell McDonald hit his own homer, but had all manner of adventures in the outfield to make up for it, handing the O’s a couple of runs when he lost a ball in the sun early on. Even the cosmos have it in for Boston right now.
Their lead is down to one and a half games leading up to the nightcap this evening. Tampa Bay heads to Yankee Stadium tomorrow.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)