Sep 19, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Terry Francona: What’s our record, DeMarlo?
DeMarlo Hale: Eighty-seven and sixty-six.
Terry Francona: Eighty-seven … and sixty-six. How’d we ever win eighty-seven?
DeMarlo Hale: It’s a miracle.
Terry Francona: It’s a miracle.
Yep, the Sox dropped the front end of a double header against the O’s this afternoon. The score as 6-5. All six were given up while Kyle Weiland was on the hill. He gives up runs in bunches, so that’s no surprise. On the bright side, he probably won’t be allowed another start this season, so that part of the Red Sox’ pain is likely over. Jeremy Guthrie was no great shakes himself, but he was able to get the win, which will now foreclose him, it seems, from losing 20, so that’s something good.
Homers from Robert Andino, Nolan Reimold and J.J. Hardy did the damage for the O’s. Darnell McDonald hit his own homer, but had all manner of adventures in the outfield to make up for it, handing the O’s a couple of runs when he lost a ball in the sun early on. Even the cosmos have it in for Boston right now.
Their lead is down to one and a half games leading up to the nightcap this evening. Tampa Bay heads to Yankee Stadium tomorrow.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 15
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 35
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 62
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)