Sep 19, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
Maybe we shouldn’t look too far ahead since the Braves are still fighting to hang on in the Wild Card race, but the odds of Tommy Hanson being ready in time for the postseason are at least looking better.
From David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution comes word that Hanson threw two simulated innings earlier today at the team’s instructional league in Orlando. He is slated to throw three or four innings or a maximum of 65 pitches in another instructional league start on Friday.
If all goes well, Hanson could start the Braves’ regular season finale against the Phillies on September 28. Of course, things could change if the Braves haven’t wrapped up the Wild Card. If the season goes down to the final day, Tim Hudson would start on his scheduled turn.
While Hanson is still in the mix for the first round of the playoffs, things aren’t looking nearly as positive for Jair Jurrjens. He was able to throw 40 pitches in a bullpen session earlier today at Sun Life Stadium in Florida, but O’Brien writes that he probably won’t be an option unless the Braves advance to the NLCS.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 46
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)