Sep 19, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
General manager Bill Smith explained that he’d discussed some names of prospects with the Indians, but ultimately decided the Twins would rather have $20,000 than a player.
First of all, I really hope none of the players Minnesota passed up for $20,000 ever find out about it, because that would be pretty demoralizing. And beyond that, the thought of one MLB team with a $50 million payroll sending another MLB team with a $115 million payroll a check for $20,000 seems fairly silly.
Basically the Twins just gave Thome to the Indians, or perhaps more accurately let Thome go to a quasi-contender for nothing.
Thome has hit just .258 with two homers and a .725 OPS in 16 games since the trade and the Indians quickly ceased being in contention following his arrival, but Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer notes that he’s probably been worth $20,000 in additional ticket (or beer or “Thome” jersey”) sales.
Perhaps the Twins figured the $20,000 could at least pay for some of those “wind-up walker” dolls.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)