Sep 20, 2011, 4:04 PM EDT
Lance Berkman, Adrian Gonzalez, Vladimir Guerrero and David Wright have all done it seven games in a row. Kyle Blanks, Brett Wallace and Mike Moustakas are some of the lesser lights to do it at least five games in a row. Now Adam Dunn has at least done it twice in a row. With two doubles in Tuesday’s 4-3 loss to the Indians, he’s posted back-to-back multihit games for the first time this season.
Dunn, who started just two games in a 19-day span beinning in late August, was given one final chance by manager Ozzie Guillen on Saturday. He went 0-for-4 that day and 1-for-4 the next, but he finished 2-for-5 with a double and an RBI on Monday and 2-for-4 with another RBI today.
It’s raised his average to .168, the highest he’s finished a day since he was at .171 back on July 4.
The obvious hope is that Dunn can build a little confidence to take with him into next season. The White Sox are on the hook for $14 million in 2012 and $15 million each of the following two years, so there will be no giving up on him anytime soon.
Of course, there’s really nothing Dunn can do from here to make his numbers look anything other than atrocious. He’s currently 66-for-393 with nine games remaining. The best-case scenario: if he could hit .333 in 30 at-bats the rest of the way, that would get him up to a .180 average for the season.
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 25
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 41
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 39
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)