Sep 20, 2011, 5:55 AM EDT
Marlins 6, Braves 5: It’s all so fitting, isn’t it? Omar Infante — Braves All-Star representative in 2010 and the chit that went Florida’s way in the big trade that was supposed to improve the team — killing ‘em with a walkoff homer? The Braves single greatest weapon this year, Craig Kimbrel, blowing the lead? If it wasn’t so nausea-inducing, it would actually be comical in some way. After the game Chipper Jones and Fredi Gonzalez blamed the light configuration in Sun Life Stadium for causing Jones to lose the chopper that let Emilio Bonafacio reach right before the Infante homer. Please. They may as well just blame the cruel fates. We’re no longer playing baseball here, people. We’re in the middle of an epic tragedy. An epic, choking tragedy.
Cardinals 4, Phillies 3: More evidence that this is being controlled by some greater power and not man himself? The headline “Lohse outduels Halladay.” Like that’s going to happen without divine intercession.
Orioles 6, Red Sox 5; Red Sox 19, Orioles 9: I guess the win in the nightcap arrested the slide for now, but it’s not like Boston can feel great here. I mean, what’s the game plan? “Let’s score 19 runs?” Erik Bedard needs to provide a nice, bullpen-saving start today.
Diamondbacks 1, Pirates 0: Ian Kennedy wins his 20th in a dominant outing (8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 12K). Still only makes him the fourth best pitcher in the NL this year at best, but it’s still a nice outing in a breakthrough season.
Blue Jays 3, Angels 2: It’s getting dark for Anaheim. Adam Lind drove in the winning run with a 10th inning grounder, in a game full of defensive failures on the Angels’ part. They’re five back of the Rangers now.
Padres 8, Rockies 2: The Rockies had only one hit off CoryLuebke. It was a two-run homer, but still just the one hit.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 64
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)