Sep 20, 2011, 5:55 AM EST
Marlins 6, Braves 5: It’s all so fitting, isn’t it? Omar Infante — Braves All-Star representative in 2010 and the chit that went Florida’s way in the big trade that was supposed to improve the team — killing ‘em with a walkoff homer? The Braves single greatest weapon this year, Craig Kimbrel, blowing the lead? If it wasn’t so nausea-inducing, it would actually be comical in some way. After the game Chipper Jones and Fredi Gonzalez blamed the light configuration in Sun Life Stadium for causing Jones to lose the chopper that let Emilio Bonafacio reach right before the Infante homer. Please. They may as well just blame the cruel fates. We’re no longer playing baseball here, people. We’re in the middle of an epic tragedy. An epic, choking tragedy.
Cardinals 4, Phillies 3: More evidence that this is being controlled by some greater power and not man himself? The headline “Lohse outduels Halladay.” Like that’s going to happen without divine intercession.
Orioles 6, Red Sox 5; Red Sox 19, Orioles 9: I guess the win in the nightcap arrested the slide for now, but it’s not like Boston can feel great here. I mean, what’s the game plan? “Let’s score 19 runs?” Erik Bedard needs to provide a nice, bullpen-saving start today.
Diamondbacks 1, Pirates 0: Ian Kennedy wins his 20th in a dominant outing (8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 12K). Still only makes him the fourth best pitcher in the NL this year at best, but it’s still a nice outing in a breakthrough season.
Blue Jays 3, Angels 2: It’s getting dark for Anaheim. Adam Lind drove in the winning run with a 10th inning grounder, in a game full of defensive failures on the Angels’ part. They’re five back of the Rangers now.
Padres 8, Rockies 2: The Rockies had only one hit off CoryLuebke. It was a two-run homer, but still just the one hit.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)