Sep 20, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Once was interesting. Twice was eyebrow raising. But the third “Blame Theo” article in a little over 24 hours means we have a full-fledged phenomenon on our hands. The lastest: Jon Paul Morosi from Fox, who says “Epstein, for all his skills as a general manager, failed to accumulate the pitching depth required to win the American League East.” He goes on:
Epstein has been on the job for nearly a decade, and yet Lester is the only homegrown pitcher to have a 200-inning season for the Red Sox in that span. For an organization of these resources and smahhhts, there’s no way that should be the case.
He ends by noting that the Rays have all kinds of pitching depth and that that’s what separates them from the Sox. At least he does note that, for now anyway, the Sox are still two games up on the Rays.
Look, I’m not going to say Epstein is perfect, but dear lord, I can’t recall a single instance where the general manager has been held so pointedly responsible for an otherwise well-constructed team suffering a boatload of injuries and sub-par performances from people who were not at all expected to have sub-par performances.
Especially before it becomes clear that the team’s failings, whatever the cause, have cost them anything of consequence.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 7
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)