Sep 20, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
Once was interesting. Twice was eyebrow raising. But the third “Blame Theo” article in a little over 24 hours means we have a full-fledged phenomenon on our hands. The lastest: Jon Paul Morosi from Fox, who says “Epstein, for all his skills as a general manager, failed to accumulate the pitching depth required to win the American League East.” He goes on:
Epstein has been on the job for nearly a decade, and yet Lester is the only homegrown pitcher to have a 200-inning season for the Red Sox in that span. For an organization of these resources and smahhhts, there’s no way that should be the case.
He ends by noting that the Rays have all kinds of pitching depth and that that’s what separates them from the Sox. At least he does note that, for now anyway, the Sox are still two games up on the Rays.
Look, I’m not going to say Epstein is perfect, but dear lord, I can’t recall a single instance where the general manager has been held so pointedly responsible for an otherwise well-constructed team suffering a boatload of injuries and sub-par performances from people who were not at all expected to have sub-par performances.
Especially before it becomes clear that the team’s failings, whatever the cause, have cost them anything of consequence.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (124)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)