Brad Mills is safe, no matter what the rumors sites say

Sep 20, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT

Brad Mills AP

UPDATE: ESPN has apparently taken down the post.  I’m assuming this means that Brad Mills is no longer on the hot seat. Thanks for the quick edit, guys. Everyone screws up sometimes. A quick fix is the way to go.  Except for you commenters. You still get no edit function.

8:49 AM: I was rather shocked this morning when I saw ESPN’s Rumor Central site write the following about managers on the hot seat:

The hottest seat belongs to Brad Mills, who has presided over the first 100-loss season in Houston Astros history. His contract is up at the end of the season and the Astros’ ownership group, which is still Drayton McLane at this point, show little inclination of exercising an option for 2012.

Shocked mostly because the Astros picked up Mills’ 2012 option almost a year ago, and even added an option for 2013.  Picked it up because even the Astros realize that for as crappy a team they have at the moment, it’s certainly not Mills’ fault. Unless of course he was responsible for the Astros’ poor drafting and years of procrastinating on a necessary rebuilding job.

But even if they hadn’t picked up the option, how anyone can say that what has happened in Houston is Mills’ responsibility is a bit bewildering to me.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I am glad that I do not get ESPN. They seem to make a lot of journalistic errors. They do not seem to value accuracy.

2. Alex K - Sep 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM

It’s clearly Theo’s fault. Anyone with half a brain can see that.

• The Common Man - Sep 20, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Seriously, I don’t know why he didn’t pick up three starting pitchers, three relievers, and 9 new position players at the trade deadline. The team obviously needed it.

• bigleagues - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I smell a meme.
      :-)

3. bigleagues - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Wha-wha-Whaaaat?! The Worldwide Bleeder got confused over the facts?

Why, I’ve never seen that happen.

Craig, as an aside I like the NBC Sports Talk show on Versus. Finally caught it on the rerun last night. And it didn’t take me long to realize the thing I loved the most was I wasn’t missing the soundtrack and sound effects.

Folks like myself have become increasingly desperate for an alternative to Sportscenter. To your knowledge, when Versus gets re-branded, will that show have a late night edition?

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Thanks, bigleagues. Obviously the show is still new and getting its footing, but I think it has a lot of potential too.

Not sure what the programming plans are. I know they re-run it late now, but I’m not sure if or when they may do a late night edition.

• bigleagues - Sep 20, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Craig,

Thanks for the response. I look forward to seeing how it develops. I’ve long thought that FOX Sports has dropped the ball by not offering a nightly national sports wrap-up show on its regional networks. So I think NBC has a real opportunity to fill a programming void.

4. stackers1 - Sep 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM

This makes another great picture. He looks like he sat on a spike.

5. robolundgren - Sep 20, 2011 at 10:30 PM

As an Astros fan, I am completely aware that this season and what the Astros have become is not entirely his fault. However, he is far from being without blame. He makes some seriously stupid in game decision; his righty-lefty obsession, even when his players splits say otherwise are absurd. He also seemingly HATES to play the young guys- the only reason all of these AA guys are playing is because Ed Wade is trying to save his own ass by say “Hey look, these youngin’s I got are performing! Just imagine if you keep me here!…” If the Astros are having a youth movement, it would be go a long way to have a manager who wants the youth on the field.

/rant off

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3979)