Sep 20, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN has apparently taken down the post. I’m assuming this means that Brad Mills is no longer on the hot seat. Thanks for the quick edit, guys. Everyone screws up sometimes. A quick fix is the way to go. Except for you commenters. You still get no edit function.
8:49 AM: I was rather shocked this morning when I saw ESPN’s Rumor Central site write the following about managers on the hot seat:
The hottest seat belongs to Brad Mills, who has presided over the first 100-loss season in Houston Astros history. His contract is up at the end of the season and the Astros’ ownership group, which is still Drayton McLane at this point, show little inclination of exercising an option for 2012.
Shocked mostly because the Astros picked up Mills’ 2012 option almost a year ago, and even added an option for 2013. Picked it up because even the Astros realize that for as crappy a team they have at the moment, it’s certainly not Mills’ fault. Unless of course he was responsible for the Astros’ poor drafting and years of procrastinating on a necessary rebuilding job.
But even if they hadn’t picked up the option, how anyone can say that what has happened in Houston is Mills’ responsibility is a bit bewildering to me.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)