Sep 20, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
His overall numbers look as strong as always, but Braves catcher Brian McCann has struggled mightily since returning from the disabled list in mid-August.
McCann was hitting .303 with an .879 OPS when he was placed on the DL with an oblique strain, but as David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution notes he’s hitting just .167 with 26 strikeouts in 30 games since coming off the shelf.
He’s just 18-for-108 during that time, although six of those hits have been homers and McCann has also drawn 18 walks. However, producing a .632 OPS for five weeks can certainly be tossed into the growing pile of Braves worries as they cling to a 2.5-game lead in the Wild Card race.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)