Sep 20, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
I noted the whole “Jorge Posada should catch Mariano Rivera‘s 602nd save” phenomenon yesterday, but I can’t say I expected it to be put so starkly and stupidly by someone who gets paid to write about sports. Of course no one has ever gone broke underestimating the level of discourse from Filip Bondy of the Daily News:
… Girardi has a blind spot. He has disrespected Jorge Posada all season and it was no different on Monday. Here was a perfect opportunity, with a two-run lead, for Girardi to bring Posada off the bench to catch Rivera in the ninth inning for the closer’s 602nd save … It was a missed opportunity at Yankee diplomacy, and it happened simply because Girardi has no patience for Posada.
Well no, he didn’t have the “perfect opportunity” because Posada had already been used as a pinch hitter two innings prior. But let’s not let that get in the way of some good righteous indignation.
But sure, there may or may not be such a thing as “Yankee diplomacy” and it may or may not require some degree of obeisance. I’d venture, however, that any set of policies and protocols which require Joe Girardi to put a guy who has caught 2/3 of a single baseball game all year into the ninth inning of a late season baseball game is not worth honoring.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final