Sep 20, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
I noted the whole “Jorge Posada should catch Mariano Rivera‘s 602nd save” phenomenon yesterday, but I can’t say I expected it to be put so starkly and stupidly by someone who gets paid to write about sports. Of course no one has ever gone broke underestimating the level of discourse from Filip Bondy of the Daily News:
… Girardi has a blind spot. He has disrespected Jorge Posada all season and it was no different on Monday. Here was a perfect opportunity, with a two-run lead, for Girardi to bring Posada off the bench to catch Rivera in the ninth inning for the closer’s 602nd save … It was a missed opportunity at Yankee diplomacy, and it happened simply because Girardi has no patience for Posada.
Well no, he didn’t have the “perfect opportunity” because Posada had already been used as a pinch hitter two innings prior. But let’s not let that get in the way of some good righteous indignation.
But sure, there may or may not be such a thing as “Yankee diplomacy” and it may or may not require some degree of obeisance. I’d venture, however, that any set of policies and protocols which require Joe Girardi to put a guy who has caught 2/3 of a single baseball game all year into the ninth inning of a late season baseball game is not worth honoring.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)